What is too much?

iVillage Member
What is too much?
Sun, 05-17-2009 - 11:05am

Hi everyone! I'm re-delurking (if that's even a word) to get some advice. I'm back at the gym consistently now, but I'm having a tough time trying to plan out my workouts.

I have my cardio planned out pretty well. It's a plan I found that has lots of variety and keeps me going. It spans a total of 6 days. I also have my ab workout planned, which is every other day. The only thing I'm having a heck of a time planning is my upper/lower body training!

I have enough resources to plan a decent schedule, but I'm not sure if it's too much or not. For example, I have about three different lower body routines that I can use, one of which is in video form and pretty challenging, another one is a gym weight routine, and another is a plyometric-based routine. Out of those three the gym weight routine is probably the easiest, and the other two are killer. Same goes for upper body, I have about three or four decent routines I can pick from. On top of all that, I also have a routine that incorporates both upper and lower body moves in one exercise! So I'm not short on resources, that's for sure

I'm just having a tough time scheduling them. I don't know if it's bad to do upper body on day 1, lower on day 2, upper on day 3, etc etc. Would that be too much? I would appreciate any advice you could give me on scheduling my training!

Thanks!

L.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-17-2009 - 11:23am
Hi, L! Glad you decided to delurk!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-17-2009 - 4:13pm

Thanks for offering to help! My current weight program at the gym is just using the basic machines plus squats, lunges, dead lifts, etc. The one lower body video is just a high intensity lower body workout that's quite short, only about 15 minutes. It has squats, kicks, etc. Same with the plyometric routine, although it's much longer and I'd consider it cardio because it has tons of jumping, hopping, squatting, lunging, etc. So basically my only true weight routine for my lower body is the one I do at the gym. I've got a pretty solid upper body routine planned out.

Thanks again!
L.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 4:02pm

Hi again! I made a temporary workout plan after I rethought the resources I have. Here's what I have so far. I'm starting tomorrow because I won't be able to get to the gym until then, but this is what I have planned for a typical week:

Monday - Cardio (45 minutes long, alternating between sprints, hills, and walking), Upper Body Workout (focusing on back, chest and shoulders), Lower body Pilates workout (20 minutes)
Tuesday - Cardio (60 minutes long) Lower Body Workout (lunges, calf press, plus 10 minute video workout), Abdominal Workout
Wednesday - Cardio (45 minutes long, incline), Upper Body Workout (focusing on biceps/triceps), Lower Body Pilates workout (20 mintues)
Thursday - Cardio (60 minutes low intensity) Lower Body Workout (lunges, squats, leg press, hamstring curl, quad extension), Abdominal Workout
Friday - Cardio (45 minutes, incline)
Saturday - Plyometrics Workout, Abdominal Workout
Sunday - ?

This is just temporary, and it needs some tweaking. For example, I have two days upper, two days lower at the gym. I don't know if I should just keep going on Friday and do the upper again, and then another lower on Sunday.

I substituted the cardio workout on Saturday for the Plyometrics workout.

The lower body Pilates as I'm sure you know, is more or less a lot of stretching. I like it because it makes me more flexible.

The bottom line is I'm so tired of being out of shape. I'm not afraid of keeping up with any program, as long as it helps me reach my goals. I'm also currently doing 2 sets of 12-10 reps. I usually raise the amount of weight for the second set.

Thanks again!

L.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 4:42pm
The glaring thing missing there is a rest day. Maybe two.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 4:51pm

Agreed. I know for sure the one rest day will be Sunday. I might tweak Thursday so it's a bit lighter as well.

Thanks so much,
L.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 6:52pm
That looks good, with keeping Sunday as a rest day.