WHAT'S THE PROPER WAY TO EXERCISE?

iVillage Member
WHAT'S THE PROPER WAY TO EXERCISE?
Sat, 05-30-2009 - 10:34pm

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the proper way to exercise (correctly)?

I hear doing too much cardio is not good for you because it just burns muscle. How much can you do? How much strength training is necessary to see results?

I have too much weight around my midsection that I just can't seem to lose. I hate doing crunches.

Can anyone help?

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 6:05am

I believe the current guidelines of cardio are a minimum of 30 minutes 5x a week. That said, studies have shown that shorter bouts of high intensity intervals contribute to post exercise calorie burn and burns 900% more fat than slower, steady state cardio. As for strength training, I advocate for my clients a full body routine, since our bodies do not move in isolated movements and therefore we shouldn't train them that way either. Full body 2x a week using a weight that you can lift for 10-15 repetitions, 3 sets is ideal.

Losing body fat is a product of cardio and proper nutrition. If you aren't eating healthy foods in the proper amount, no amount of exercise will help you lose belly fat.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 6:42pm

A lot of it depends on your goals, whether you're looking to lose weight, get fit, get ready for a specific activity.