WHAT'S THE PROPER WAY TO EXERCISE?

iVillage Member
WHAT'S THE PROPER WAY TO EXERCISE?
Sat, 05-30-2009 - 10:34pm

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the proper way to exercise (correctly)?

I hear doing too much cardio is not good for you because it just burns muscle. How much can you do? How much strength training is necessary to see results?

I have too much weight around my midsection that I just can't seem to lose. I hate doing crunches.

Can anyone help?

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 6:42pm

A lot of it depends on your goals, whether you're looking to lose weight, get fit, get ready for a specific activity.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 6:05am

I believe the current guidelines of cardio are a minimum of 30 minutes 5x a week. That said, studies have shown that shorter bouts of high intensity intervals contribute to post exercise calorie burn and burns 900% more fat than slower, steady state cardio. As for strength training, I advocate for my clients a full body routine, since our bodies do not move in isolated movements and therefore we shouldn't train them that way either. Full body 2x a week using a weight that you can lift for 10-15 repetitions, 3 sets is ideal.

Losing body fat is a product of cardio and proper nutrition. If you aren't eating healthy foods in the proper amount, no amount of exercise will help you lose belly fat.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers