Excessive muscle soreness

iVillage Member
Excessive muscle soreness
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 11:58am

Hi everyone,

I usually hang out on the losing weight board, but I had a question that I thought you may be able to answer.

How can I reduce excessive muscle soreness when I strength train? The problem I have is that I am biking into work 3 times a week, and am hoping to increase it to 5. Its 14k (~9 miles)

Bex -

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 12:26pm

When you first start a strength training program, you're going to deal with some soreness. If that soreness then keeps you from doing ST again for awhile, then it will be very difficult to let the muscles adapt to the demands of your lower body ST program.

My suggestions:

- make sure you stretch thoroughly and properly after all your workouts
- be properly hydrated and eat adequate protein to speed muscle recovery
- bath in epsom salts if the soreness is really bad
- back off of your biking for the first week or 2 of starting regular strength training.

Personally, I can do heavy weights for my legs and while they are sore the next day, my legs don't feel it when I run. But I think I am weird like that, lol.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 6:15pm
Hi!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-28-2009 - 7:36pm

Hi Bex,

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 7:11am

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I think I will try it. I noticed that its the second day thats the worst, so I am going to try and work it so that I do legs either Thursday or Friday. That way, I have the weekend to recover!

I am also going to reduce the reps. I usually do 3 sets of 12 for each exercise. Maybe 3 sets of 10 will work better. I think ultimately, I need to see a trainer who can set me up with a plan!

I am also going to try the ice bath/ epson salt bath thing mentioned earlier.

Thanks for your help ladies. I really really appreciate it!

Bex -

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift -thats why its called the present."

Bex -

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 8:35am

All good advice and just a couple more ideas...

Make sure you eat a good protein/carb combo within an hour of your strength workouts. The sooner you get that protein to those muscles, the better they will be at repairing themselves.

You may need to build in more rest days and/or "easy" days.

I've found a supplement called "glutamine" to be helpful. When I know I'm going to be doing something hardcore, I will take it in the morning and the soreness seems to be abated the next day.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 8:59am
What I've read is that replacing a pound a muscle with a pound of fat burns about 5-7 extra calories per day so it's not excessive but building and maintaining that muscle takes more calories than that.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 9:07am

You want to lift heavy enough weights that your muscles are fatigued by the last couple of reps and you're doing the most you can do with good form.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 9:48am

Thank you for the info!

I don't go to a gym, I have a workout room in the basement with a bench, bars, dumbells etc.

I used to do 4 days a week of weight training, targeting different muscle groups (it sounds like a lot but its not really because of the way I break it up). I would do supersets.

1 day was bi's and tri's (mainly curls, tricept extensions, hammer curls, dips etc)

1 day was back and chest (bench press, flys, etc)

1 day was shoulders and abs (shoulder press, sit ups)

1 day was lower body (this was the big one

Bex -

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 9:49am

Hi gymrat! Thanks for the response!

Do you take the glutamine the morning before you do the weights?

Bex -

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-29-2009 - 10:12am

That would be great if you could work with a friend at home.

Pages