DCAC

iVillage Member
DCAC
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 7:51am

I forget how much I like this conference, or at least doing fun step and hi/lo. I spent far more than I said I would but get carried away by all the cute clothes. It's so tiring but no matter how tired I was, once the class gets warmed up, w/ all the energy, you pick up. LOL, on Sat morning, my first class was indo-row at 6am w/ Jay Blahnik. At 6 pm, I finished a class and was talking to the instructor when he came in. I told him how much fun indo-row was and we chatted about it. As I walked away, I overheard him say, "I can't believe she's still here and doing classes!"

So, a quick synopsis on some of the classes...

Rob Glick hi/lo--so much fun. I have never found any hi/lo class w/ this much energy and fun choreography outside of DCAC. He repeats a lot but that makes it more fun. It made me decide that I HAVE to take some dance classes just to do choreographed stuff.

Rebecca Small step: I did three of hers since she's the only one doing step this year. Four step was very fun. It's great to see a whole room of people moving together. There was a prechoreographed step which was okay. Little choreography--she broke it down w/ one song and then we "performed" it to another. A lot of dance styles thrown in. And her advanced step class was great. What was nice to see was that she occassionally would make a mistake, like forget where we were or miss something. And it's not a big deal so why do I beat myself up for it???

Indo-row: Anyone who likes spinning should try to find this. This was fun and uses upper and lower body. I'm wondering if it would get old after a while and it would completely depend on the instructor on how energetic the class is. Check it out if you have the chance.

TRX: I want one! It's a canvas cable w/ handles and foot holders that you hang up from a beam (cable machine at the gym would work). You can do so many things on it, work every muscle group. You can put your hands on it to do push ups or your feet and the instability is really challenging. I'm glad I tried it, informercial that it was.

Foot/ankle lecture: I've never taken a lecture but this was very informative. It's made me rethink using the BOSU, or at least standing positions on the BOSU. I didn't realize there is a whole group of specialized trainers who go and only do these lectures. This class was full of people in regular clothes. At one point, we had to take off our shoes and exchange w/ our neighbors to check out their gait based on their treadware. I apologized to the guy who had mine.

I took a lot of classes but these are the ones that stood out in my mind. I was saying, if I could do those hi/lo and step classes I'd never run again!

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 7:56am

That sounds amazing!

L Signature

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 8:41am
I'll bet dance conventions for teachers are really fun, too. I'd love to watch a lot of teachers in one of those classes! You're so right about understanding the body and teaching. I see so much scary stuff out there, incorrect and unsafe. I think instructors pick up stuff w/out thinking about it and repeat it so there are lot of myths out there, too.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 9:45am
You sound so ENERGIZED!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 9:46am

When I was younger (and taking a lot of dance), I always wanted to go to a dance conference.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 10:16am
Glad you had so much fun! You know, ever since that ACE article where they recommended that alternative to the BOSU, I've been wary of standing positions on it. I find it to be rather uncomfortable for my feet/ankles in general.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 11:32am
What I take away every year is that my class is too hard. I've toned it down over the years and it's much more manageable but it's still a lot harder than what they do at these conferences and we still get a good workout. So, I'm still toning down.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-10-2009 - 11:35am
I want to try out that new one w/ the flat top surface. I don't have problems doing things on the BOSU but have talked to a lot of people who don't like the ankle/foot instability and positioning. I think one leg onto the BOSU is fine (like lunges or squat onto it) and there are a lot of good uses for it but not jumping and doing step on it. The guy at the lecture said he thinks it's safer to turn it dome side down and stand that way but that's really unstable. Maybe safer for the feet and alignment but tough for the general population. I think squating on two BOSUs, one foot on each, would be good.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 10:25am

what are they saying is bad about bosu? is it about how if you put both feet on it, it kind of turns your ankles outward? I agree that it's not good to step up or down (or jump) on it in that position, but i think stationary poses in that position can be helpful, like focusing on pressing with the balls your feet in yoga. there's also a lot you can do with one foot in the center. i've been self-rehabiliating my ankle by doing one legged squats on the bosu (with assistance from a wall or balance bar "cane").

sad to miss DCAC but it's good i wasn't planning on going, since i ended up with a hurt ankle and wouldn't have been able to do much anyway. i want to know what this indo-row thing is now.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 11:13am

Yes, it's the plantar flexion and inversion that can cause injuries on the BOSU so if you're jumping on top, you're also adding impact to an awkward position. One foot on top is fine. Both feet on top is another awkward position. He wasn't saying the BOSU was bad, just that many of the moves that are done on the BOSU could compromise not only the ankle but up through the knees or hips even.

There are parts of DCAC that were great--Rob Glick's hi/lo, Rebecca Small's step, but there's very little new, in terms of moves that I can use overall. Fun choreography is great but I feel like we've exhausted creative moves w/ the ball, BOSU, disks, etc. Did I tell you all about the Twist tubes? They're like heavy resistatubes w/ either handles or waistbands. In a few classes, they had people w/ waistbands on and the tube between them, running away from each other as fast as they could and then the tube snapped you back. Others they had people on BOSUs face away from each other and jump up and down. An accident waiting to happen. Having had someone break her wrist off the BOSU w/out the added resistance, I would never consider doing that, even in training.