Training a morbidly obese person..

iVillage Member
Training a morbidly obese person..
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 1:51pm
I'm starting with a new client on Friday. Very big guy... probably about 6 feet and weighs about 370 lbs. This is definitely going to be a challenge. I just finished writing his program and I managed to avoid any exercises that mean getting on the floor. Granted, he might be more mobile than I'm giving him credit for but man, is it tough to do an entire program without floor exercises. I'm also avoiding the ball for obvious reasons. Wish me luck and if you have any tips on training a morbidly obese person, let's hear 'em. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 3:38pm
Unfortunately, benches are not portable and most people (including this guy) don't have them in their homes.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 10:40am

Also you can do a lot of the things you'd do on

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 4:55pm
There's a few really big women who train at my gym, and their trainers do a lot of medicine ball and resistance band stuff with them.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 4:24pm
You've seen the Biggest Loser--go for it! I'd probably avoid doing what they do, actually. I think it sounds really exciting. You have so much room for impact. There's so much you can do, off the floor. Oblique crunches, wood choppers, etc. for core. And, there's body weight so you don't have to add much resistance in the beginning. Good luck with it! I'm not big into getting clients but think this is a field I'd like to get into eventually.