Rest days for slow twitch muscles?

iVillage Member
Rest days for slow twitch muscles?
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 7:57am
We all know after lifting heavy weights, your body needs a day off and that we don't need a break after cardio. But, what if someone does "toning" with light weights? Our schedule at the gym works out that there is "toning" almost every day, as part of class or pilates. It's a lot of reps so you're working slow twitch muscles rather than fast twitch which do need time to repair. Do slow twitch muscles need a break in this case?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 8:02am
My guess would be to say that it's highly dependent on how many reps you're doing and how much much weight you're using. Enough reps even with a light weight will still make you sore. Conventional wisdom says that if muscle tissue is damaged, it's damaged and needs time to recover. I certainly wouldn't condone doing "light weight" toning every day for lots of reasons... :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 8:53am

You wouldn't condone doing light weights every day, or at all?:-) That's my take but since it's on the schedule, I'm wondering how safe it is and if it should be like that. The part for me is that everyone in my class does the Tuesday ball class where it's mostly core but a lot of reps w/light weights. I try to go as heavy as possible in my class, or have them go heavier, eg. bands and body bar but when you come down to it, we're still doing toning type reps. Both classes do a lot of core w/ lifting. I'm thinking I could take out the lifting but people like it enough to have asked for more lifting on the Friday hi/lo class. But, they are all lifting every day then--nothing heavy which is even worst.

I guess my question is, is this enough of a concern to bring up to the director?

Edited 8/13/2009 8:54 am ET by cl-jeanwl

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 9:12am
Probably not only because you can't control or predict what people will do. I'm sure they offer classes with that sort of regularity because they know that most people won't make both of them. They'll *maybe* make one class. In your class, I might emphasize that the muscles need 48 hours of rest, blah, blah, blah and let people make their own decisions.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 10:34am

I agree it's not your responsibility what people do in another class if you emphasize safe practices to them.

I also agree with Kel that think whether "toning" = muscle building/damaging exercise depends on the weights and number of reps. if you are working really high reps/low weight, the point isn't that you are working slow twitch muscles as opposed to fast twitch, the point is that you aren't engaging the processes that build muscle by tearing down the old muscle fibers -- which is the reason they have that 48 hour rule.

if it's truly endurance work (like they do 30 reps and still not to complete exhaustion) i don't think the 48 hour rule applies (but that doesn't mean you should necessarily

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 11:05am
Yeah, I personally don't think it's safe to work to exhaustion in group fitness, though there are classes that do that. Everyone's point is different and it could easily lead to injury. I work core by doing strength work in my class but the emphasis is core. As the classes go, the same group of women tend to do every class so I think it's important (and it used to be this way) that the classes flow in a coherent way that's good for people who come to class every day, eg. you wouldn't put two lifting classes one day after the other. But, that's not my job.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 11:07am
I'm thinking about this core group of women who do a morning class every day and how they're not getting the optimal macro schedule w/ what they're doing. I guess because they're mostly friends or people I feel I know well that I'm thinking about it. I get too vested. My friend and I teach back to back days at the dance studio and we coordinate muscle groups so we don't repeat but make sure between the two of us we have it covered. Or, at least we try.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 3:37pm
If they're people you know and feel comfortable with, you might take them aside one day and say "Hey, I think you might see more results from your workouts if you....". But then, you have to walk away and not care if they continue to do morning classes every day. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 7:21pm
Or maybe I could offer my services as a personal trainer!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 7:41pm
Boo-yah! Now you're thinking! :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-14-2009 - 8:58am
I'm wondering if I can get a small group personal training together and get these ladies away from the baby weights. My flyer could say, "Why are you wasting your time..."

Pages