Hi new here

iVillage Member
Hi new here
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 7:10pm

I started going to the gym 3 weeks ago, I did get myself a personal trainer for 3 times a week. We are doing toning exercise for 30minut Mon, Wed, Fri, I been doing I guess what you call light weights(it doesn't feel that way by the time I am finish though) and do between 12-16 depending what I am doing. Before the toning I do 30-60 min on the treadmill for cardio, I am going to start running on it tomorrow for short periods of time. I was told to eat between 1400-1600 calories a day, which I am finding hard to do, since I started exercising my appetite has decrease a lot. I use to eat all the time, so I finding this little side-effect very appealing.

I way 142 lbs with 29% fat so I want to lose weight while tone. My question is, do I need to eat like that all the time, or just on the days I work out. I normally set at desk for 8 hours and well not move much.

Thanks, for any advice, looking forward to reading and posting more on this board.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 7:31pm

Hi! Welcome to gym rats! Sounds like you've made a great start at the gym. It's always helpful to start w/ a trainer to make sure you're lifting the right way. As running goes, it's smart to take it slow, just run about 30-60 seconds to start and gradually add on. It might take more time than to run straight but your body will thank you for it.

As for eating, 1400-1600 sounds reasonable for weight loss. You might want to track your diet and measure portions at first because it's very common to underestimate calories. If you have problems reaching that amount, add higher calorie, nutrient dense foods like nuts, avocado, olive oil, healthy nut oils, peanut butter, healthy proteins like salmon, tofu. I don't know your caloric needs but possibly stick to the lower end on days you don't work out and the higher end of around 1600 on days you do. That really isn't a lot of calories when you start adding it up. One serving of peanut butter (2 tablespoons) is close to 200 calories. Good luck on it and keep us updated on your progress!

Oh, one more thing--don't pay strict attention to your weight since you're lifting. You could be losing fat, gaining muscle and losing inches and yet stay the same weight.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 7:49pm

The weight thing is very true, the scale hasn't budge, but everyone is telling me how great I look. I am going to start out slow, use to run for 30 min, but that was a LONG time ago, I am going do 30 sec and walk for few minutes than run again, after a couple of weeks of doing that I am going to increase it to 60sec. I also going to do it on incline, I think I do 5%, I find I do better on incline, being flat makes me unbalance for some reason.

and thanks for the advice and the Welcome!

Edited 8/16/2009 9:08 pm ET by proudmothertomatthew
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 7:52am

Good for you for being so diligent with your fitness and meal plans!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 8:04am
Sounds great! As you try running, you might want to take down the incline to flat because it'll be a different feeling and see how that is. It's really slow on the board on the weekend since most of us are out and about but feel free to join us in any thread, especially the daily journal below. It's where we do most of our chatting and all.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 12:38pm

I actually broil a piece of Salmon when I get home, I am not sure the cals but I know it's healthy and full of protein.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 5:34pm

I love salmon, too!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-17-2009 - 8:50pm
I was so focus on the health and the protein I was getting I didn't even think about cals. I just did some research and 1 cup of whole almonds is 817 cals!!! Ugh I need to let up on them some.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 6:57am
There are so many "hidden" calories in food! As healthy as it is for you, even salmon is pretty high in calories--about the same as beef, although a good part is from the healthy omega three fatty acids. I focus more on healthy unprocessed foods than I do on calories but have a pretty good idea at this point which healthy foods, like almonds, avocado, salmon, etc. are high in calories.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 7:52am
Yeah, I got KILLED on the calories on nuts, too.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 8:07am
FYI, this is a pet peeve of mine.... BMI. It's such a terrible way to measure someone's health. It's just a glorified height/weight chart which is not applicable for people who lift weights. Many Olympic athletes are "obese" by BMI standards. I encourage all of my clients to forget that it exists.

Pages