Sciatica?

iVillage Member
Sciatica?
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 9:47am
Anyone here ever have it? I've been having some pain in my very low back (almost gluteal) and from research, I'm starting to think that might what it is. It's just on my right side.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: gymrat76
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 10:27am
I do, from running, on occasion. The Stick really helped but I've heard rolling on a tennis ball also works. Do you do glute/piriformis stretches?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 10:41am

I've been using the foam roller on it regularly. Is that the same idea as the stick?

I did some glute/piriformis stretches this morning but none of them really felt like they targeted that area. The only stretch I did this morning was the one where you sit on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you. You reach forward to grab the feet and then I lean side to side to get that back hip area. I did feel it with that stretch.

I'm not even sure this is sciatica... just kind of made sense although I don't have any leg pain or numbness. I might have bothered it with deadlifts along with some things I've been doing with clients.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 10:47am

You might have just strained your piriformis, too. I think the foam roller would work as well as the stick or anything, but I've never used one. Anything that will massage it would (your husband, for example...).

This is a good piriformis stretch. To get even deeper, I'll pull the knees to one side closer to the ground (away from the leg that is crossed on top).

Fhttp://www.ehow.com/video_4398858_piriformis-stretch-exercise-good-posture.html

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 10:53am
I did that one this morning and I felt a stretch in my glutes but it didn't really feel like it was nailing the ouchy spot. Maybe it helps anyway though? When you have sciatica and are feeling pain, does this target the spot?
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 11:32am
I normally pull the knee of the affected leg to my chest and then let it fall to the floor on the opposite side and just stay there and that hits the area. And, that exercise I posted before does it hit, too, but I usually stretch that area while reading and having the knee over is comfortable. But, your sciatic nerve could be pinched in a different area than mine or it could be something like a stretched/strained piriformis, although that exercise should hit that area, too. What spot is yours in? Is it too deep, maybe?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 12:56pm
I haven't taken that stretch (I call it the Figure 4 stretch) that deep but will try it. I'm not really sure how to describe the location of it other than it's right on that line between low back and glutes. I would also describe it as more or less being in the center of the butt cheek. :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 5:17pm
That sounds about where I'd describe my pain, too. The stick helped me, or least made it feel better, until I gave it to my father. I need to pick up another. The rolling on a tennis ball feels good but is weird to do.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 6:20am
sit on a tennis ball (or golf ball if you can stand it) and roll around. I know a partnered stretch that is awesome for those hard to reach gluteal areas but it is really too hard to explain in text alone, sorry.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 2:48pm

I would guess I'm getting the same benefit with a foam roller that I would with a tennis ball, yes?

Do you ever feel something shift in your back? I've been feeling that too when I twist and I'm wondering if that's related. It's not painful but it is disconcerting as I usually think of things moving in my spine as bad.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 5:59pm
If it's sciatica and a pinched nerve, I'd guess it wouldn't be unusual for it to move if you move around and shift it. I have so many little aches and pains, it's hard to tell if one is shifting around, or just something new. How sad is that?

Pages