Just a little vent...

iVillage Member
Just a little vent...
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 7:41pm

I know there's not a lot of other trainers here but I think you guys will be able to relate.

I have several "snowbird clients" (folks who only live here during the winter). I do keep in contact with them over the summer to both check on them and also keep me on the brain so they hire me when they come back.

I emailed one of them today and she is talking about training when she returns in November. She wanted her prior days/times. I don't have those days/times available anymore. I have filled those slots with other clients. I let her know that but say that I'm sure we'll be able to work out something. She writes me back essentially whining about how those are the ONLY times/days available because she has social appointments, dinner with husband, etc. I will tell you this woman is rich rich rich and fills her day with rich-lady-things (she spent a full two weeks shopping for dishes when we were training before).

Yeah, my other clients are WORKING. AT REAL JOBS. Which is why they're training late afternoon. And she can't reschdule her weekly nail appointment? WTF-ever.

Prima donnas. Hate 'em.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 8:18am
What a pain! Hmmm, maybe you could charge clients to "hold" their spots during the summer and make extra money... Life must be tough as a socialite.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 8:44am
I really like Jean's idea!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 8:48am

Yeah, no kidding. My husband was like "She wants you to dump the clients in the slots she wants but she didn't offer you cash to do so? If she's used to getting things because she has money, she's not very good at it."

I totally agree. Although I would NEVER dump a client even if another client offered me money to do so. It's so unethical and I refuse to cater to rich people. This the same lady who balked at potentially transporting 2 lb weights between her Phoenix home and her summer home (which is about a two hour car drive). *eyeroll* The funny thing is, as rich as this lady is (she's got live in staff, even), she ALWAYS bought very small packages from me - couple hundred dollars at a time. I do multi-session discounts so I actually make more money that way but I find it amusing that my other clients willingly cough up a lot more money at one time.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 9:12am
Ah, but the thing is, if you charged her to "save" her spot, you could still train these clients off her time, the majority of the year, and charge them a little less. Explain why and maybe they'd be happy to "spare" you in the winter at that time frame. Tell them that spot is theirs to decide. I wouldn't bump someone who has a permanent spot and can't switch, like you said, but for me, if I could save money, I wouldn't mind rearranging my schedule in the winter. You could charge her $xxxx through the year, charge your client who switched in the winter $5-10 or so less per session for those sessions(or however it works out that you make something, too). It could be a win/win/win situation.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 9:42am

You make a good point, but have I mentioned how lazy I am? That would get confusing and be a lot of work to maintain.

I had a lady who wanted to buy my largest package for her daughter but asked if she could pay for one week at a time. I agreed because she's a relative of someone I used to work with back at the gym. I never heard back from her and even though it would have been cold hard cash, I was glad. Trying to keep up with where someone is in their package who is paying weekly is too much work.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 9:57am

You crack me up!

L Signature