Personal Training Dilemma

iVillage Member
Personal Training Dilemma
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 10:10am
There's a mom I know pretty well at my son's TKD studio. She's lost a lot of weight and I was talking to her about it. She said she took a nutrition class at the hospital and was working with a trainer, turns out from my gym. I casually said, "Oh, I'm a trainer there, too. If I knew before you signed up with her, I could have worked with you for free!" I meant it to mean, I could have set her up with a program. She perked up and said she had just signed up for another 10 sessions but she would call me after that. Ugh. I'm not stealing another trainer's client. But, as I was thinking about it, what if I trained on my own outside the gym? Would it have been wrong for me to get clients like that? I think the ehtical problem is that we both train at the same gym. I'm not going to work with her, it's not an issue. Just because someone is already seeing a trainer, is it ethical to recruit that person--whether or not you know the other trainer? I'm thinking in terms of someone like Kel who has her own business.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 1:15pm

Well, I see a couple issues here.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 6:34pm
Good points. Yeah, I guess I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't work at the same gym and could offer her better prices. If she ever called me, I'd have to clarify that I certainly can't train her for free every week and I also can't train for reduced rates at the gym. If she wanted to switch me to, at the same rate, that would be another bridge that I'd cross if it ever came to it but I also think her goals are unrealistic so would hesitate.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-06-2009 - 12:23pm
It sounds like you made an honest attempt to be friendly. Why don't you just let the other trainer know exactly what happened. It's never the crime that gets you, it's always the cover up.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 5:22pm
That's a good point. I was going to mention it to the director since I know her well and see her often. I don't know this trainer very well, rarely see her (haven't seen her since before summer) and probably wouldn't recognize her if I saw her. I don't think it's an issue since even if this person calls me, I would not train her. I was wondering more, if I didn't work at that gym, how ethical it would be to recruit someone who's happy with her trainer.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 5:43pm

I liken it to a commercial for any product. Each of those product manufacturers is "recruiting" you away from whatever other product you are using - soap, soda, a car, financial service, software, hardware, etc. IMHO, it's not an ethical issue when our country is based on capitalism.

Although, when it intrudes on your personal life (e.g., friends), I always err on being "above-board." We hired our neighbor to be our real estate agent. He didn't sell our house, but rented it. Once the renters left, he had no more leads. We informed him that we would try to rent it (using Craigslist), and we rented it within 2 weeks. Hmmmph. He projected some grumblings, but I was not amused to find that we were able to rent it within 2 weeks, when he had no leads for the last 6 months. I do NOT like to do business with friends and/or neighbors for this very reason.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 7:24pm
I don't think it is unethical at all. I think you are in the business of getting clients and you shouldn't be afraid of shopping your services. Just be prepared for other trainers to do the same to you.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 8:23pm
Oooh, I had an ethical question about a realtor when I was in Ca, and looking for a rental for a year. Rent is about $2500 and the finders fee was that much. Ow, especially for a year rental. One realtor showed us some houses. I was talking to someone who had a friend who was renting a house, showed it to us and turns out, it was one of the houses the realtor showed us. But, as tempting as it was to bypass the realtor, we went through her.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 8:28pm
I actually think it's a good thing to explore to see what else is out there. I went to a new hair dresser, didn't like her as much, and went back to my old one. She said she thought it was a good thing because it made people appreciate what she did. So, I'd have no problems w/ someone taking a client, as long as it was on the up and up. In fact, hmm, now that I think of it, I don't think I'd mind if another trainer at my gym took a client of mine, as long as it wasn't underhanded, or badmouthing. There are so many personality matches and styles out there. If someone offered a client something I wasn't that would be fine. I think it's like wanting to see another hairdresser in the same salon. Most people feel funny about it and I would, too, but I'd hate even more that someone wanted to try out a new person and didn't because they thought it would bother me. But, anyway, I wouldn't do it to another trainer at the gym, especially since the client is happy.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 4:31pm
Funny analogy. I had a hairdresser that I really liked. He had a few problems and was becoming unreliable and then he had a fight with the woman who owned the salon and left. I found this out on a day I showed up for my appointment. They handed me off to the new girl (this is a pretty swanky place and I guess I don't rate that high). I have never been overly precious about my hair as it is very straight and blond and not a lot to do with it any way. Well, I fell in love with the new girl - Allison. This was three years ago. Guess who was rehired by the salon about 2 appointments ago? My first guy. Now he hangs around the chair every time I am there and talks with me and Allison. It makes us both uncomfortable. Sorry, all that said, I agree with your point about trying out new things and people - as long as it isn't underhanded.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 4:35pm
Hey, you found a new hairdresser that you like. That's a biggie to me, like a good mechanic (or I guess a good personal trainer!). Your first guy had to realize his clients would find new hairdressers but I can imagine it feeling awkward with him hanging around. I believe in being upfront with people, too, which is why I told my hairdresser I tried someone new. I could never sneak around and be underhanded. I'm just way too chatty and it would come out anyway.

Pages