worst spinning instructor ever

iVillage Member
worst spinning instructor ever
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 4:19pm
I almost got seriously injured by a spinning instructor today. You won't believe what she did. She had us sprinting as fast as we could on low resistance, which I was doing, and she decided that I wasn't going fast enough so she walked over to my bike and took the last little bit of resistance off my bike. Now those of you who spin know what happens if you were to be pedalling as fast as you can and suddenly take all - ALL - resistance off your wheels. The weighted wheel started spinning out of control, pulling my legs faster than they could go. I panicked and pulled my feet out of the clips and luckily they came out easily and I was fine, but oh my god I'm so glad I didn't reinjure my ankle or destroy a knee or something. I had actually recently bought clipless shoes online but I had to send them back because they didn't fit. I can't imagine what would have happened if my feet had been cleated on to the pedal.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 6:39pm
That's terrible! They stress in spinning certification class that you NEVER change someone's resistance knob. Did the teacher say anything when that happened??? Apologize? And, what does it mean that she didn't think you were going fast enough??? I can't imagine second guessing a student and forcing them to do what you expected (like going over and adding risers to someone's step?). And, fast riding with low resistance? Are you going to talk to anyone about her?

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 7:38pm

Wow.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 11:51pm

I talked to her afterward and told her how dangerous it was. She didn't apologize or anything, she just said that she thought I had the resistance too high, etc. I told her that I understand it's hard to motivate people but that was going too far, it was dangerous, etc. I'm sure she'd never do it to me again, but I'm not convinced she won't do it to other people.

All the instructors at this gym pretty much suck. The spin teachers have people jogging straight up on top of the pedals with light resistance, step teachers have the music too fast, too loud, and don't break down the choreography, the sports conditioning teacher has people using all kinds of equipment (kettle bells, bosus, etc) without telling them how to use it - she just creates stations around the room and then says "OK, go!" This was just the final straw.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-30-2009 - 10:57am
That's crazy. I wonder if they have serious injuries. I think I'm so safe with my class but I've had more injuries in my classes than anyone else I know and when I hear of things like that I wonder if I just have terrible luck. My friend and I were talking about that today when we were running. She's also a spinning instructor. She said she was in a class once when the instructor went over and raised someone's seat, as they were standing and riding. I can't get over the instructor's response but there were some HUGE egos when I did spinning cert. Huge.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-30-2009 - 2:34pm

I think it's GREAT that you DID speak up and tell her.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 8:07am
A lot of participants don't know what's safe or not and as long as an instructor is enthusiastic, they come. Plus, it's hard for gyms to find instructors. I don't know about all areas but where I am, it is. If I wanted to work more, it would be easy.