Faking the TR-X

iVillage Member
Faking the TR-X
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 2:59pm
You all know I'm the queen of gym improv--paper plates for gliding disks, towel threaded through a machine weight for kettlebells. This morning, I decided to try to fake the TR-X. If you use the roman chair arm hoops (you know the ones that you attach to the cable machine at the top, put your lower arms in up to the elbow and raise your legs? I can't remember what it's called!) and attach it to the Smith machine, you have two hoop/handles. You can thread your hands through and hold them to do pull ups, bicep curls, tricep extensions. You can turn around and do squats. Lower the Smith bar and put your feet, with shins on it, through to do plank, push ups. It's really challenging. Not quite as good as the TR-X but pretty good, for free.

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_jeanwl
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 9:39pm
I used my loop resistance band a lot before I got the TRX. I've also seen tutorials online where you can make one with rope and duct tape. Just like you can sort of improv for kettlebells, the real TRX is better. Seriously.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 7:19am
Yeah, I want one. The director at the gym who's also a good friend of mine suggested we buy one together. Do you think that would work, if we keep it at the gym? I don't work out at home.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 8:12am
I just googled the TR-X system.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 8:44am
It's so cool--and much better in practice than you think it would be.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 12:36pm
That seems like a good idea - so you'd keep it in her desk or somewhere you both can access it at any time?
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 12:42pm
We have a little trainer room where we all keep stuff we buy ourselves but we share. Jan has 90% of the equipment in it but she's told me to go ahead and use anything. We'd keep it in there. That's part of my hesitation, actually--I think the gym should supply this type of stuff since they keep almost 70% of the training charge. If I bought it myself, it would be mine. If I shared it w/ someone then it would be like general gym stuff. I know it makes no difference overall, that everyone could use it but it does mentally for me. And, if I ever stopped working there, then we'd have to work that out. If I owned it, I could share it w/ who I wanted. If we shared it, her being the director, it would be a free for all.