Newbie/Lurker with a question

iVillage Member
Newbie/Lurker with a question
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 10:31am

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping you can help me, since I know nothing about exercise but I'm commited to becoming a gym rat no matter what! LOL

A little background: I'm hoping to get in better shape and also lose about 30-ish pounds. My eating habits are pretty good, I have the theory that I want to eat a way I can live with for the rest of my life, not a crash diet that will work short term. So, I'm happy with my food choices most of the time. The problem is I suspect I'm having thyroid issues (I had them during my last pregnancy, 5 months ago) Unfortunately, we are between health insurance coverage, so I have at least a month before I can get into the doctor to get that checked. So, right now I have not lost so much as an ounce in the 2 months I've been working out :( I should also mention, I have degenerative disc disease, so I need to avoid high impact exercises.

Here is my current gym routine:
~monday & wednesday evening- 30 minutes on the treadmill (I just increased my speed from 3.5 to 3.7, which brings me just under a jog. I'll not go higher then that because I was told jogging will be too hard on my back), speed of 3.7, random setting, and intensity of 7. After the treadmill I take a 60 minute water aerobics class (which I love because it helps my back pain so much!)
~two -three more times a week: I will do 30 minutes on the treadmill, then the strength training circuit twice (about 45 minutes) then 30 minutes on the bike (doing about a 3 minute mile, intensity of 8 or 9, random hills setting)

I'm here today to get some advice, if possible! I just discovered the rowing machine, and I really like it. When I do the treadmill I watch the clock, just counting down until cool down. But, on the rowing machine I get into a "zone" and just go. Plus, I feel like the treadmill and bike works only my legs, and the rowing feels more full body work out.

I'm wondering, would it be possible to do the rowing machine instead of the treadmill and bike?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question! I really am still new at working out. Thanks for any advice you can give me!