Does weightlifting cause bulk in women?

iVillage Member
Does weightlifting cause bulk in women?
Thu, 09-17-2009 - 8:41am
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-17-2009 - 8:48am
This is one of those myths that drive me crazy because I see women lifing w/ no more than 5 pounds at the gym and wasting their time. Few women have the testosterone to bulk. Women are so afraid they'll end up looking like bodybuilders, as if it were that easy to be Supersize She. Women who are that big probably use steroids. AS for models like those in Oxygen magazine (who are more sleek and toned but maybe more muscular than some want, they work hard to look like that, spending an hour in the gym a few times a week doesn't do it. It's far more important to lose the fat than be afraid of muscle!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 12:26am

I agree - we actually had this conversation at the gym last night.

One of the trainers - who is petite but all muscle - was talking to a woman in the locker room who said she couldn't lift because she didn't want to build muscle.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 7:34am

Michelle Obama does have great arms so if you're close, that's great.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 10:31pm

Although I've fought with my weight my whole life, I was 'thin' for a long time so how I look isn't that surprising to me.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-19-2009 - 9:00am

I'd read this article that said people see themselves as they were at 14, no matter how much weight they gain or lose. I think it's been true w/ most people I've talked to, including me. I was overweight and still see myself that way, even though I'm much smaller now. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to be thinner, no matter what weight I got down to. I look at pictures of myself back then and think the same thing you do, "What was I thinking??? I was so young and healthy, what was I complaining about?"

I wish we were at the same gym! It's so cool when other women aren't afraid to lift as heavy as they can. I think guys are supportive when a woman knows her way around the weights.