Type of Gym Membership to get??

iVillage Member
Type of Gym Membership to get??
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 3:15pm

Hello All!

So I've been trying to decide about what kind of gym membership I want to get this year at my university.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 9:36pm
I've always enjoyed a combination of the two - classes for cardio and weights for toning.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 9:44pm
You can't get both? It seems odd to me that a gym wouldn't have a membership that allows you to use its full facility. If you can only get one and there is enough lifting classes, I'd go for the one where you have the most fun which sounds like the classes. You might work harder w/ the cardio/weights option but you don't want the gym to be a drag. Nothing will make you drop it faster eventually if it's all work for the sake of work. You can get a great workout in class but it might take more effort and you might modify some of what you do to make it more intense. If you let us know what classes there are, we might be able to help.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-22-2009 - 10:33am

I agree that if you like the classes a lot to get both. Otherwise if I had to choose just one I'd go with the facilities only. It's more flexible - there are a million workouts you could invent for yourself with the equipment in the typical gym, whereas with the classes you are stuck with the classes -- and teachers -- that you are stuck with. Even if my gym had lots of classes I like (which it doesn't), I'd still pick use of the facilities over classes if I absolutely HAD to pick only one.

Also, it's easier (and cheaper) to do group fitness videos at home -- or get cardio outside the gym