Abs workouts--how often...

iVillage Member
Abs workouts--how often...
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 8:32am

How many times a week do you do abs? Are they part of a class or do you make an effort for it?

I realized I only do them 3 times a week, when I do class but never when I run. I think three times is enough, especially when one is a core/ball class but I used to do a lot more. Other than running, I'm not motivated to do anything outside of class anymore.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 8:37am
We do them at bootcamp 3 x per week, but its not enough - she only does a few things.

L Signature

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 9:20am

I only do dedicated core twice a week when strength training. The rest of the time, I do use my core when using the elliptical. I also try to have good posture when walking around (sucking those abs in). I figure that I already have a strong core and there's just no point in working them more. I feel like they're strong enough the way they are.

I tell you all, the older I get, the less motivated I feel to push myself to be in super awesome shape. Seriously. It's VERY time consuming (life can't be about working out) and I don't need to be in top-athlete shape. I also find that the harder work, the more I seem to pay for it later (with aches and pains, fatigue, etc.). I'm working on striking a balance of being healthy and in shape without feeling like I've run myself ragged to get there.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 11:35am
I do abs whenever I strength train, which probably comes out to about 4 times a week. I think 3 times is enough.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 12:52pm
And, is there a point to being in super top athletic shape, other than wanting to be? I used to strive for that but I'm starting to think functional fitness is good. I want to be in shape, I want to be fit, I want to be able to do the activities I enjoy, but is there a point to maintaining the top, other than desire? It sure is time consuming.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 1:24pm

See, I must be doing something wrong because it's taking all my time and energy just to get to a healthy weight and a healthy level of fitness. Even to just be reasonably healthy I feel like I need to do cardio regularly for heart health and weight control, strength train to maintain muscle mass and bone health as I age, do yoga to counteract the strain that age and daily life puts on alignment and posture, ab work for functional fitness, and balance exercises to prevent falls and maintain functional fitness.

Maybe it's all about age -- a car with 100,000 miles on it takes a lot more maintenance to keep it running, a 100 year old house takes a lot more maintenance to keep it from falling down, etc.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 8:31am
It's probably about the make of the car, too. I've had to work my tail off my whole life just to maintain a healthy weight and healthy fitness level. I've talked about people having a physical quotient, like an IQ, where some people are just genetically gifted and don't have to work as hard to be in great shape, just as some don't have to study as hard to do well on test. I'm just genetically ungifted as PQ goes.

Community Leader
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 9:16am
I agree with Jen - for cardivascular and bone health, it's important to do cardio and weights.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 11:15am
I don't know what declines faster IQ or PQ!