Say something or move on?

iVillage Member
Say something or move on?
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 11:03am
I was doing abs and noticed an older woman on the leg press machine. She jammed her knees straight every time. Ow. I didn't say anything because people can be so offended but her poor knees.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 11:21am
Ouch. Hurts just thinking about it. Whether or not I'd say anything really depends on the vibe you get from her. Is this the same place where you teach/train? If it is, you could say (with some authority) "Hey there, I'm a trainer here and was wondering if I could give you a little tip on this machine?" That way, she can always say no and you're not just dumping unsolicited advice on her. For me personally, I always felt weird about giving people tips at the gym where I didn't work. I was worried it would come across as too condescending.
Administrator
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 12:42pm
I bet she was really feeling it the next day wondering if she'd done something wrong. Maybe if you see her again you can kindly offer her a tip. I know I would greatly appreciate someone sharing tips with me that might prevent pain of any kind.

shredded.gif I'm Shredded-Are you? picture by HealthAccount

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 3:50pm
It was at my gym. If I had my shirt on, it would have been different. LOL, not that I was working out topless but I mean my gym shirt. That's a good way to put it. But, I've heard some people complain about unsolicited advice, too. Be easier if we could read minds. I'm always thankful when someone says something, unless they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. My friend, a rehab trainer, was doing something and was told by another trainer that she was doing it wrong. Bad karma now between them.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 3:51pm
I wonder if she feels it afterward. If she doesn't now, I'm sure she will one day, though.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 4:11pm

Yeah, I never gave advice to another trainer unless they specifically asked for it. It makes people feel defensive.

I know what you mean about having your shirt on and if you don't, that's why say "I'm a trainer here". I also think that's why it's to ask them if you can give them a tip. That way, if they say yes but feel defensive about it, it's NOT your problem.

edited to add the all important NOT that I forgot.

Edited 10/7/2009 4:36 pm ET by gymrat76

Edited 10/7/2009 4:37 pm ET by gymrat76
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 9:12pm

Egos.