When do drills start getting boring....

iVillage Member
When do drills start getting boring....
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 7:33am
I hate holding the same thing for too long--just too boring. I was watching a cardio class the other day and they held this foot tap (first to side, then to front then to back) for close to 5 minutes. I've never done that in my class and would hate it but maybe I'm just too ADHD. How long could you do the football shuffle for?

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 11:27am
I overheard my students say, this morning, "This is THE hardest class! That's why we love it!" I really try to find a middle ground and it's much easier than it used to be!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 8:53am
I like working hard, just below the anaerobic threshold. I feel like I'm pushing it but not like I can't breathe easily. But, I think that's all such a personal thing. I HATE when instructors string together a ton of anaerobic moves and expect you to be able to maintain it for 15 minutes. Can't work that hard anaerobically so you have to take it down so why not just combine anaerobic/aerobic work then? Ego.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 8:21am
If the drills are challenging, I think they are fun.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 8:09am
I was trying to figure out how much work a toe tap would be (she did hop it a little) but it can't be much. I do 15-30 second intervals, like plyometric type moves or power moves, of the same move but any more would be boring.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-11-2009 - 12:22pm

Not just boring but painful to do the same movement for 5 minutes straight. A toe tap for 5 minutes isn't going to do anything but strain your hip flexors.

I normally wouldn't do one drill for more than 32 counts or so. If I do drills like football shuffle I combine it with other things, like football shuffle for 8 counts, shuffle across the room for 8, football shuffle 8 counts, shuffle back 8, repeat. The whole thing I might repeat for a couple of minutes, but it's not like doing one repetitive motion for minutes on end.