Training Question...

iVillage Member
Training Question...
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 9:04am

My son told me that his personal trainer does 10 sets of 10 reps of moderate level weights.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 10:46am

When you ask if it's right to purchase one session per month and let him workout on his own 3-4 times per week on his own, are we talking strength training?

If we are, here's my suggestion... Get him a couple of consecutive sessions when the PT teaches him a new program. This will give him time to learn correct form and also, the PT should be able to adequately explain how to advance on his own. Of course, make sure the PT knows what the plan is. A plan I give to someone to do on their own will differ greatly from a plan where I will be working with the person every single time.

As far as the massive number of sets, I can't comment. I've never heard of that, but I've never run track either. See if your son gets good results from that. :) He's young and I highly doubt it will hurt him.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 10:56am

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 11:33am

What I've heard from a lecture from Douglas Brooks (he's the guru to me about lifting w/ athletes) is that there hasn't been definitive proof that lifting is better than doing the activity or vice versa, as sports improvement goes. I think you'll find many valid opinions on what is better. If your son's goal is to run the best/fastest/longest he can, I wouldn't have him lifting three times a week. That will tire his muscles out too much and he won't be able to run effectively. I think the best running programs are ones that incorporate tempo runs and interval runs, neither of which I'd do back to back days to a strength program. I believe the running saying, "the only way to run faster is to run faster." So, lifting is helpful but not as much as getting in speedwork. If it were me, or my son, I'd have him set his training based on a running program and fit the lifting around that, not vice versa. I do see a benefit to lifting and then doing a run--it'll teach your legs to move while tired and to push yourself, especially near the end of the race. But, that's not the only kind of training I'd do. As injury goes, doing that many sets and reps isn't a problem, to me, but it's all about form.

Long answer but the three things he needs to do are:

1) anaerobic work to work fast twitch muscles, whether it's intervals or heavier lifting like you were saying,

2) threshold work--where he's working comfortably hard, running somewhat shorter distance but faster than his normal pace. This can also be done as the pt is having him do so many reps/set

3) long slow distance where he runs slower than his normal pace but a longer distance--this teaches his body to utilize fat stores, if he goes long distances, rather than rely on glucose and works his slow twitch.

I'd recommend something different if your son were a sprinter but track and field but cross country is more about distance than sprinting. Long answer but I don't think there is a "right" one and I'd be leary of someone telling you there is one. As the pt goes, if your son is self motivated and learns form well, then I think it's fine for him to go once or twice, get the routine and do it on his own, changing every few weeks. But, if he's someone who might get sloppy, go for more power over form, etc., then I think I'd stick with the trainer.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 3:11pm
That answer was almost out of a magazine. Hope you don't mind if I poach some of that advice for myself.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 7:16am

Welcome

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 7:53am

Livelady has a point - Jean, have you ever thought of writing for a fitness magazine?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 9:20am
I have been here before, just not very regularly but thank you. I did recognize a lot of what you were saying but it is really helpful to have it in one place so thanks. Hills are tough where I live as we don't really have any so I am damned to the treadmill for that.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 10:54am
Thanks--that's a nice compliment from both of you.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 10:55am
The Running Women board also has a lot of great information.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 4:24pm
Thanks. I just went over there and had a look. Runners are funny - literally.

Pages