Overtraining or what, age?

iVillage Member
Overtraining or what, age?
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 8:01pm

My legs have been so tired lately!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 7:55am
I have to say, between work and some things going on personally, I have had the worst month of training in a few years. Lots of missed days. I do have to say, though, when I finally get out there, I feel better than I can remember. Rest is good.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 8:06am
Rest is good.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 10:40am
I don't think I ever over train either is my point. Because I run, bike and workout (usually 2 days each per week) with treadmill time when I am at the gym warming up and down, I feel like I am moving things around so much that I should never feel fatigue. This forced layoff though has proven to me that I don't realize I am fatigued because I push myself through good and bad, runs, bikes or whatever. I feel like right now, though, that I am running on someone else's legs whenever I get out there. They feel brand new.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 10:47am
I do the same w/ pushing myself, good or bad.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 10:54am
Ha, you have just touched on my greatest fear. But, I managed to get there yesterday and put in speed work on the treadmill and then biked for a half hour at 100+ cadence. I had to ring my clothes out at the end of it. Crazy doesn't go away that easily.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 8:39pm

Hi there! I came to the board to post about an experience I have been having lately and saw your post. I take a lot of ballet classes and our ballet mistress says that if you drink wine or beer this will affect the responsiveness of your muscles. Not sure if this is something you do but you know what? she is right! If I have a beer or a glass of wine and then the next day I go to class...I feel a big difference. It is very weird. That feeling of leaden legs is exactly how I would describe it.
My sister was telling me that as we age....IO am 46 and she is 49...that it does take a bit longer to recuperate from a heavy duty workout and boy she is certainly right about that too.
I recently hired a personal trainer to help me get back into shape. I need to lose about 15 lbs of body fat and gain back some of the muscle I lost (upper body mostly) when I was in a car accident two years ago. I weight trained for many years and know what to do but it's the motivation part that I need help with. So I hired a guy at the local gym. I observed him for a while and like the way he deals with his clients...he is no nonsense and pushes you very hard. I did tell him that I hadn't pumped any weights for several years and that all I do is take ballet class 3 times a week but even that I had not done for 3 months because the teacher was away in Russia.
Last Tuesday was our first hour session...we worked on chest, biceps and abs.
I did everything he asked and I guess I overdid it. When I got home I felt like I was done...completely...in fact, I had to take a nap...my body felt so tired. Later that night I woke up from a deep sleep in a lot of pain....my arms were so sore and cramping. I got up and drank some water and took some Motrin. I stayed downstairs and just watched TV so I wouldn't wake up DH with all my tossing and turning. The next day I met with the trainer and told him how very sore I was....could barely move my arms (I drive a 5-speed too BTW!~)we did some triceps and back and more abs and I can't even tell you how I managed to get through the session. It was all I could do to drive myself home. Again I had to flop into bed when I got home. I was even more sore that night and the next day Thursday I was a complete write-off...I did NOTHING!! Friday I was to meet him to do a leg and shoulder workout and I had to call and cancel,....there was no way I could do it.
The trainer called me on Saturday and asked if I was okay. I told him that no I was not okay and that maybe we had misunderstood each other. He said that he was very sorry and that there's no way that he wants me to be that sore. In his defense I should have told him that the weights were too heavy and that I needed to take it easy but I guess it was my pride that got in the way.
How did I get so out-of-shape??
UGH! I could not even put in or remove my contact lenses without extreme difficulty and just trying to towel dry after a shower was excruciating... DH even had to help me get dressed and undressed...not a bad thing really *wink*
Today was the first day that I could actually do anything normal.
I have 6 weeks off work to renovate things in my house...paint, clear out and have contractors in to do a few jobs...and this first week was a total and complete write-off!
I am so bummed out and now I am almost afraid to go and work out on Monday morning.
How could I be so stupid and silly! I'm not 20 anymore I am 46!!! what makes me think I
can train that hard when I have been doing NOTHING!
Has anybody else ever experience this degree of delayed onset muscle soreness? to the point where you felt queasy and completely debilitated.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 7:14am

Frankly, the trainer should have taken more care not to push you so hard in the first session. Even when you do your due diligence (medical history, etc.) as a trainer, you still have NO IDEA what the client's strength and weaknesses are. I've been a certified personal trainer for nearly 5 years and I always go pretty basic and light weights on the first session with a new person. I need to find that baseline before I can start pushing.

You do have some responsibility to speak up if it's too heavy, but the trainer should also be able to observe that it's too heavy. If it was that heavy, I imagine your form was probably pretty compromised and he should have stopped you immediately.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 8:13am

You know, I had been wondering if having wine makes a difference.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 8:22am
Good point, Jean. There is the training and there is the "personal". Trainers have a duty to assess and respect a client's abilities and limitations.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 8:29am

I can relate with the pride getting in the way and overdoing it.