Trainer dilemma

iVillage Member
Trainer dilemma
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 9:41pm

Hi! Just wondering what I should do here....
Any comments and suggestions would be helpful and yes...give it to me straight okay?

I have 3 sessions left with my trainer....not sure if I want to take them...they are already paid for...money is not an issue here.

While I was off for the holidays this is what I noticed...

I actually "dread" going to the next session. I think it's different now that I'm back at work and that sucks a lot of my energy. I feel that trainer Mike just pushes me too hard for too long. I'm pretty sure that I could go nuts for 20 - 30 minutes but beyond that I just run out of steam. I have tried to talk to him about it but he just doesn't want to veer from his routine.
I did let him now that when we are done with our sessions I'm changing it up by doing Tabata intervals with heavier weights and less reps but for only 20 to 25 minutes!!
I said that this is the maximum amount of time that I can maintain high intensity...NOT one hour! He is just not getting it.
After we are finished a session I am so tired and spent that I can barely make it home on the bus.
I do know about making sure I snack before and after the workout to make sure I have enough glycogen to get through the workout and replenish after...I do this every time...so I don't think this is the issue.

I'm not sure if it might be a problem with my blood sugar...I do have a tendency towards low blood sugar which is why I eat every 2 1/2 hours...proper protein/carb/fat ratio to maintain steady blood sugar levels. He does know about this as I told him from the start.
Could this be why I literally "run out of steam"?
I will go and get the blood tested in a week or two for sure.

Last week when I had my training session with Mike I almost burst out crying after the first 30 minutes because I already felt done and there was still 30 more minutes to go.
Sigh...
Do you think it might be because of all the high reps and crazy circuits with no rest at all that is doing this? There is no resting except for walking to the next bench or grabbing the next set of dumbells, situating myself on that damn giant ball or floor mat!

Why am I putting myself through this? I just want to start doing my own workouts but can't start, knowing that if I have a session with Mike I will be "out of commission" ( too sore and tired both mentally and physically) for the next 2 days.

Maybe I am just afraid to hurt his feelings...since he is the Master Trainer at the gym...I'm thinking that maybe he would feel slighted if I told him I didn't want to do his workouts anymore but I can't lie to him either...
UGH!

Nathalie

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: gnatster
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 10:09pm

If you're going to be working out with him at the gym (and he will see you working out on your own), I think you have to be honest with him. Tell him what you told us... that you dread the sessions because they're so hard, you're wasted afterwards, etc. If he's a good trainer, he will LISTEN to you and he will be responsive to your feedback. Perhaps give him one more try and know that you are not obligated to finish the session (that session or the remaining two). It's your money and it's your body. You have no obligation to finish this to nurture his ego. Master Trainer means absolutely nothing if he's not listening to his clients.

Personally, as a trainer, I would rather a client give me feedback than just leave. Unfortunately, most people aren't confrontational which is why I remind clients that I welcome feedback. I also remind them that this is their experience and I want them to get out of it what they want to get out of it (versus what I think they should get out of it).

Just my two cents. Hope that helps.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 10:29pm

Thank you for your comments! I think you are absolutely right!
It is really nice to get the trainer's perspective on this.

I have complained to him but maybe it was not done firmly enough. I don't like to complain...I'm the type of person that just figures...well, I made this choice so now I have to stick with it and just do it. I also think that he doesn't believe me when I say I'm done(physically) because I force myself....by sheer will/mental force.....to get through the last half of our workouts.
I chose him as my trainer...there were many others in the gym to pick from but I had observed him and decided he looked like the only one who knew what he was doing...In my ,now I have to stick with him because it was my choice. Kinda silly now that I see this written down!LOL!
It was worse at the beginning and he really hurt me those first two sessions. I could not do ANYTHING at all and I was in extreme pain. He did back off after that...but it's still too intense/hardcore for me. When I was off work for 6 weeks I was able to train with him in the morning and then come home and have a nap(I needed to) and then get on with my day.
Now I'm at work on the phone in a cubicle all day and we do our sessions at 6:00PM. Not the best time for me.

I will attempt to speak with him on Thursday when we have our next session booked.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 11:00pm

I have worked with a trainer for years, and I have never once thought he didn't listen to me - if I had, I would have been done right then.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 7:55am
You've gotten excellent advice already. A good trainer would be like the one SJ has--listens and motivates.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 8:16am

Complain to the fitness managers.

I have now since quit GL, but if a client complained to the FM about me, she would MOST CERTAINLY bring it up in our weekly meeting and I'd get reamed for it. So if talking to him face to face isn't doing the trick, go higher up the chain.

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 8:19am

Another option would be to just hold off on doing those sessions (unless they expire soon). You could save them for a rainy day or when you're feel like maybe you need an ass-kicking. :)

I'm finding in my old age (which is 33 - ha!) that regular ass-kickings don't energize me. They wipe me out and pretty much take me out of commission for the rest of the day. It's become more of a every-once-in-a-while thing.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 9:09am

It may be that your current trainer just doesn't have a good fit with you.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 6:21pm

Thanks for all the great advise everyone I really appreciate it.

This morning I went to meet Mike at the coffee shop near the gym...I knew he would be there. I told him exactly what I said in my original post plus a few more things. He was a bit thrown off but he said that he would take it easy on me and promised to let me rest between exercises. I told him that it's hard for me to trust him because he said he would take it easy on me after the first 2 sessions we had (when I was in extreme pain and my DH wanted to go and kill him) and he really hasn't.
He said I should have said something before and I said "I did...I told you that 5 leg squatting exercises in one session was excessive and that my knees hurt and you wouldn't stop, instead you put in 3 more before the end of the hour. Last week I asked you to take the olympic bar (that he had loaded with 35 lb plates on each side) off my back so I could catch my breath for a minute before doing the 30 squats you are expecting from me and you gave me 20 seconds!!!I told you I felt the blood rushing in my ears and felt dizzy!
I guess I could have just walked out on you but I didn't so I am saying something now...maybe it's a bit late but I want you to hear what I am saying out of the gym environment. I don't like to complain but this is a legitimate complaint from me, your client!"
Anyway...he seemed to be quite upset that I was so mad at him. He asked me to give him one more chance and finish my sessions. I said I would give him one more chance on Thursday night and if he didn't change things I would walk out and not come back to train with him again. I'm quite confident that he understood this time.

We'll see what happens!

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 7:08pm
Good for you! Those conversations are not easy to have. Let us know what happens on Thursday.
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 7:31pm

Cathypem?

Pages