Need advice about lady at the gym

iVillage Member
Need advice about lady at the gym
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 7:40am

I work in the daycare at the gym and am typically working out at least 5 days a week in the winter. I am there less when it's warm outside since I can run on the trails then. So, there is this lady who I know pretty well since she drops off her kids in the daycare and we have a good report established. She comes to the gym twice a day, for about 2 hours each time and no joke, looks EXACTLY the same as the first day I met her a year ago. I decided to keep my eye on her (I guess I am guilty of that people who stare thing...) to see what she is doing and I can see why she isn't losing. She gets on the bike for 5 minutes then chats with some friends then floats over to the elliptical for 5 minutes then more chatting. After that, she heads to the weights section and has them on the lightest weight. Then, MORE chatting. You get the idea. Oh and her kids always have McDonalds happy meal toys so my guess is that she is lacking in the nutrition department too.

So, I totally want to say something to her but it really isn't my place. I have been working on my PT certification but I still have to complete the weekend workshop. I am not 100% qualified to help her, but it is driving me crazy. This lady NEEDS me or someone else. What should I do? Butt out? Say something? Offer to help?

Powered by CGISpy.com

"The difference between a runner and a jogger is that a jogger still has a life" ~Dean Karnazas

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 7:56am

Honestly? Having been a trainer and group ex instructor at the gym so a lot of people know who I am I never offer unsolicited advice. This woman might be using the gym as a place to socialize and what she's doing is better than nothing. If she complained about lack of progress or wanting to make changes to her workout, then I might mention a few things I'm doing. But, there are far more women at my gym like her who don't want to sweat (check out our acronyms) than who want to work hard. I've heard them complain, know they won't do more, so leave it. Really it's like smoking--when I was in my PT class, someone asked if you should mention that clients should quit. The instructor said, they know. They've all heard it. I'd guess this woman knows McD's isn't healthy and that she's chatting a lot.

How do others feel about this? I wonder if I'm just too passive.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 8:06am

When I worked at a gym, I saw a lot of that too. Ladies who think that just because they stepped foot inside, they got a workout. :P

However, I'm with Jean on this one too. If she complains to you about not seeing results, that is a great opening to offer advice or suggestions. But maybe she's happy with what she's doing. And that's valid if she is.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 8:50am

I am with Jean and Kel on this one, too.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 8:57am
The hardest thing for me sometimes is not saying anything. There was a woman who came to my class for a while and then disappeared. I saw her a couple of months later at night. She had gotten a job and couldn't come in the morning but she had also lost a lot of weight. She told me she'd have coffee for breakfast, not be hungry so she'd skip food. Lunch was a big salad, huge so she said she wasn't hungry for dinner. She'd hit the gym for a couple of hours, intense. She was so pleased with it and it was all I could do to keep quiet and not tell her what I thought. I also knew this woman I did marathon training with--she was excessive as workouts go, like after LSD of 15-20 would hit the gym for another 3-4 hours. Working out was her life. The day before the marathon, she hit the gym for a treadmill run and heavy lifting, spent about 4 hours there. Marathon day comes and she, hoping to qualify for Boston, was much slower than I, turtle, was. But, we were still friendly whereas, if I had spoken up in either case, it would have fallen on deaf ears and they'd think I was full of it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 2:42pm
Thanks for the input, ladies. In the Summer, she was complaining constantly about how she doesn't lose and I suggested she should get her thyroid checked. Then, she did tell me she had it checked and everything was fine. She asked me once what I do to keep so fit after having kids and I named a couple of things and she said she did the same thing as me. But, clearly, she was lying because, like I said, I see her out there and she never has a bead of sweat on her and spends so much time just hanging out. I guess I'll keep my big mouth shut unless she complain to me again.