Need advice about lady at the gym

iVillage Member
Need advice about lady at the gym
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 7:40am

I work in the daycare at the gym and am typically working out at least 5 days a week in the winter. I am there less when it's warm outside since I can run on the trails then. So, there is this lady who I know pretty well since she drops off her kids in the daycare and we have a good report established. She comes to the gym twice a day, for about 2 hours each time and no joke, looks EXACTLY the same as the first day I met her a year ago. I decided to keep my eye on her (I guess I am guilty of that people who stare thing...) to see what she is doing and I can see why she isn't losing. She gets on the bike for 5 minutes then chats with some friends then floats over to the elliptical for 5 minutes then more chatting. After that, she heads to the weights section and has them on the lightest weight. Then, MORE chatting. You get the idea. Oh and her kids always have McDonalds happy meal toys so my guess is that she is lacking in the nutrition department too.

So, I totally want to say something to her but it really isn't my place. I have been working on my PT certification but I still have to complete the weekend workshop. I am not 100% qualified to help her, but it is driving me crazy. This lady NEEDS me or someone else. What should I do? Butt out? Say something? Offer to help?

Powered by CGISpy.com

"The difference between a runner and a jogger is that a jogger still has a life" ~Dean Karnazas

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 7:54am
BTW, this reminds me of the funniest post from Judie_Rae years ago here about being a geek and "Must...share...information!" I so related to that.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 9:52am

It's definitely a different story if someone asks for advice or opinions.

I don't know that losing weight in a healthy way helps keep it off. My experience is that I can't lose weight unless I get SUPER healthy (eating perfectly, exercising a lot) and then inevitably I can't maintain that kind of healthy lifestyle and I gain the weight back within a short period of time. Whereas keeping up the unhealthy weight loss is a lot easier because it doesn't feel like hard work or deprivation like being healthy does. In fact, it's pretty much what I would naturally do if I wasn't thinking about health or weight at all.

Ironically, in some ways I think trying to be fit and healthy has made me gain weight over the years because I fought so hard to try to overcome what came naturally to me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 11:39am

I agree that there's not a one size fits all, as being healthy (or as healthy as we can be) and fit goes. I struggled w/ breakfast w/ my daughter because she doesn't like to eat it often but then realized she normally gets up and doesn't eat until 11 when there is no school and that's when lunch is so why make her eat just because she's getting up earlier.

It was a poor word choice for me to say healthy eating is the only means to successful weight loss. I only meant the opposite that extreme eating is a way to failure, for the most part. I do know a guy who kept weight off w/ extreme eating, salads w/ vinegar only, etc. for years. Pallid guy who was not fun to be around because his whole focus was about maintaining his weight loss. I don't think many (I'm tempted to say any) people can only eat healthful foods and it's not only unrealistic, it's not something I'd want to do even if you could. Anything extreme is hard to maintain. So, I agree that times when I try to lose more weight, be extremely healthy are only met w/ ending it and yoyo dieting. It's one reason I'm happy at my weight, though it's higher than I used to let myself be. I think the key is to find a moderate way of eating/exercising that works for the person and then decide if the commitment can be made to be stricter (forever as I always say) and desirable; and then choosing to be happy with your decision.

Unless asked AND I think the person wants to listen, I don't often give advice. Sometimes people just want to be encouraged. Even if I can't encourage it, I won't rain on their parade. As we've often seen, advice falls on deaf ears and people often tend to get offended.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 7:38am

I wish I was more like you, and could skip breakfast.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 7:47am
Yeah, I'm a breakfast eater, too. It's split in my family. The funny thing I noticed is that no matter what time I wake up, even if it's 4am for a race or trip, I eat then. I throws my whole schedule off. Let us know how the test goes! How are you feeling? Any blood sugar symptoms?

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 12:23pm

Update : I got on the treadmill beside her (only one available - I wasn't stalking) and she normally stays on for about 5-10 minutes. Well, with me beside her, she stayed on for 45 minutes. I think she felt the peer pressure...