Interesting article...

iVillage Member
Interesting article...
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 4:27pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35242442/ns/health-fitness/

I see this quite a bit with clients. I have people who seem to get strong really quick and I have people who struggle with programs week after week. This makes a lot of sense. Although it's probably irresponsible to say "worth your time" as that somehow implies that if you're a low-responder, it's not useful to exercise.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 8:43am

Hmmmm.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 6:27pm
I've talked about my theory of "physical quotient" here before. It's like IQ only with your muscle/fitness. I think we all have different PQs and some have to work harder at things to get the same results. It's like IQ where some can be naturally intelligent and study less than others but do much better academically. That doesn't mean people who have to study more should give up. They need to study more. And, I think people w/ lower PQs have to work harder to get the same fitness levels (like my running where I'm super lower PQ). That's life.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 6:35pm

Men and women's muscle fibers are similar, in the fiber itself, so it's not the direction of the connection. But, men tend to have more fast twitch muscles and have more testosterone so they'll build larger muscles than women. I haven't heard of muscles holding fat more in women, except possibly women have higher percentage slow twitch muscles which have fat for fuel (think dark meat w/ more fat) but overall, I'd guess that men have more slow twitch muscles than women because they have more muscles than women. AS baby making fat goes, I think that has more to do w/ hormones than muscles.

You can have your VO2 max test done and I've considered it. Many universities will do it as part of their programs and many athletic physical therapy/personal training places also do it. The problem is it can cost close to $200. But, it gives a lot of great information from what percent fat/glucose you burn at different levels of intensity to your max heart rate. My friend was told she has a high VO2 max rate which is great but she doesn't utilize her fat burning well and even at lower levels of intensity, she burns too much glucose, proportionally. It's all really interesting.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 9:30am

I found this article very interesting as well.

-Lisa http://www.OneFitChick.com http://www.RateMyFitnessInstructor.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 3:12pm
I can't imagine that you COULD do more work that you're already doing. On the other hand, if you become an instructor, that makes a big difference in your VO2 max because you have to talk while doing high intensity moves. A couple of my friends who are instructors were told it was hard for them to get instructors breathless because we learn to talk and cue while working really hard. I can do mountain climbers, burpees, etc. all while yelling, "Keep it up, keep your bottom down, you can do it!, we're almost there, and all. It was so hard at first and I felt like Darth Vader w/ a mic to amplify the breathing. Now it's usually a piece of cake.