Tips for Personal Trainer Certification

iVillage Member
Tips for Personal Trainer Certification
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 3:52pm

I have been doing the self study for my AFAA Personal Trainer certification, which is the one my gym asked me to get in order to train for them. I have the book and the study guide but not the practice tests. Has anyone taken this test? Can you offer suggestions for what to work on? I have been concentrating on definitions, joint actions, and opposing muscle groups so far.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I am going back to school for a degree in Kinesology but I figured I could start working a bit now and pick up more and more knowledge as I go forward.

Powered by CGISpy.com

"The difference between a runner and a jogger is that a jogger still has a life" ~Dean Karnazas

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 4:47pm
Sorry, I'm AFAA group fitness certified but ACE PT. FWIW,the AFAA group fitness test wasn't hard, though I studied every little detail in the book. I think the book is the same as the personal training. Is there a practical component to the test? I think that was the most nerve wracking part of the whole test. The hard part isn't the actual training/body knowledge but each certifying organization has its own set of rules they want you to know, eg. unsupported lateral flexion is verboten to AFAA but ACE never mentions it. ACE has a list of criteria that you have to memorize on whether a client is high risk (age for each sex, family history, smoking, etc.) but AFAA isn't as numbers oriented. But, as the basic knowledge goes, neither test asked the level of detail that I studied and, though I was ready to go w/, say the peroneus muscles and the dorsiflexion of the ankle and the insertions of the muscle, they never asked that level. I missed one question on the AFAA group fitness test and if there were someone there, I'd argue that my answer was better than what they said. LOL, I should have been a lawyer. Good luck with it!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 7:45pm

Thanks Jean. I feel as though I know more than I need to but I am not sure. There is a practical part. They observe you with a "client" who is played by another person taking the test. They give that person a card with risk factors etc and you have to do the evaluation and initial consultation with them, plus the fitness assessment.