what to do?

iVillage Member
what to do?
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 8:27pm
Our gym instituted some new rules a couple weeks ago re: classes because it is first-come, first-served for cycling. Today was a different instructor and she did not enforce the rules. Among other things, one woman chose to stay for 2 classes although that meant someone else didn't get that space to ride at all. I have been observing the rules and thinking how I'd encourage my kids to do the right thing even if others don't, etc but I go to the gym to de-stress, not to add to it!

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: imaamy
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 7:29am
How frustrating! Even it weren't the rule, I'd never take a bike for a second class if it were packed. I'd put it towards her being oblivious over rude but that doesn't help. I might talk to the instructor about it but definitely either the gym manager and aerobics director so they know the rules aren't always being enforced. It's a good reminder to instructors to make sure people follow the rules because it's easy to get lax about it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 9:37am

How annoying!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 11:39am
Some people can get so touchy in the gym about spaces! When I try out a new class, I'm always worried I'll set up in someone's space. I have a friend who said she was teaching (still new to it) and one participant came up to another and said, "you're in my space!" and pushed her. I don't know what I'd do!

Community Leader
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 1:11pm

lol.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 4:33pm
Thanks for the replies. The mgr is aware (I emailed her) and it comes down to instructors either not knowing the rules or feeling too shy to enforce. I did tell the instructor of the second class that one woman was staying for both and she didn't do anything. I will try to abide by the rules myself as long as I don't get shut out of class for it!
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 7:56pm
That's funny--you need to make light of situations like that. We've joked that ironically yoga people seem to be the most uptight at the gym.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 7:59pm
Yeah, I'm pretty wimpy as an instructor, especially when it comes to singling people out like that. I'd probably make a general announcement at the beginning of class if I noticed it, if anything. But, I'd never go up to someone and tell her to leave. We have a problem at my sister gym where instructors and personal trainers will take bikes, over paying members. We're not supposed to take bikes until everyone else has one. I always give mine up but there are a handful who don't and the instructor has never said anything about it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 9:10pm
It's so sad that common courtesy is not something that everyone is brought up with. :(
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 7:25am
Definitely. Rude people out of the gym are the same rude people in the gym. And, they're the ones getting two classes in a row while those of us who are nice get nothing.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 9:26am
But I also belive that "you get what you give"...that, in the end, the people with positive energy (e.g., nice and courteous) are more apt to be treated that way.

Pages