what to do?

iVillage Member
what to do?
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 8:27pm
Our gym instituted some new rules a couple weeks ago re: classes because it is first-come, first-served for cycling. Today was a different instructor and she did not enforce the rules. Among other things, one woman chose to stay for 2 classes although that meant someone else didn't get that space to ride at all. I have been observing the rules and thinking how I'd encourage my kids to do the right thing even if others don't, etc but I go to the gym to de-stress, not to add to it!

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: imaamy
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 9:47am
Did I tell you about the weekend we went skiing before the storm? The hotel was full of instructors/ski patrol/employees who did the same and the next morning, everyone's cars were packed with 2-3' of snow. People started shoveling and most were very nice. One woman had driven up in the midst of the snowstorm (hello?) in a little Honda and didn't have a ahovel or anything (hello, again?). We took a long time to help her shovel out. She pulls her car up under the hotel awning, the only plowed exit from the hotel, leaves it there and goes to her room. The front desk at the hotel called her to ask her to move it and she was so snappy rude, "I'll get there when I get there." We ended up going around, getting stuck in the unplowed snow and having to push out. Anyway, that night, we had my little birthday celebration w/ a lot of food and cake and shared with everyone there. She came in later and said, "Oh, cake!" We smiled and said, "yes, we're celebrating" and didn't offer her anything.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 9:53am

True about helping people who are kind and courteous, but I still feel guilty! Outside the gym (can we say that here??) someone was not helpful, actually caused me a good deal of stress, then asked me for a favor. I refused but felt like I wasn't nice. I often don't think people like that even realize they are causing others grief:(

At the gym, it frustrates me on a different level because I want to follow the rules (since I'm the first to notice when someone doesn't!) but I'll get shut out of class that way so I have to break them and feel uncomfortable about that....

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 1:01pm
I feel the same way about not being nice to people who aren't nice. I felt that way about not inviting the woman at the hotel to join us. Hopefully, the manager and instructor at your gym will do something. Being stressed about the gym isn't a good way to start. I feel that way about the spinning class w/ all the instructors/trainers. I'm one of the first ones there and I'm the first of them all to give up a bike when I should be the last. I could be a jerk and not give up my bike but then I'd feel bad about that, too. If only everyone were like us, then there wouldn't be problems!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 5:26pm
At our gym some instructors pay for a membership so that they can take classes. So without asking, it isn't easy to tell who should or should not be taking a spot. I have been in classes where an instructor gives up the bike when the class gets full, as they should. Usually this is not a problem because the gym runs lots of spin, but a couple popular times/instructors caused the creation of the new rules. It comes back to if instructors won't enforce them, well they are just rules on paper.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 5:33pm

:D

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 5:52pm

"Outside the gym (can we say that here??)"

Of course you can say that here!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 12:16am
Help him clean his bike????? Ewwww. Regardless of the grunts and groans, clean your own bike! We've got those who don't also, but that is a separate topic!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 7:32am
I know instructors who pay so they can take spinning, too. That's the only class where there's a problem. I think the problem at my gym is it's a rule but the new instructors have never been told that. I don't think the members know it's a rule, either, about instructors. I realize the bikes are expensive but if there's such demand, I think the gym needs to add bikes.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 7:35am
I can't imagine that anyone would expect you to help someone clean his bike, regardless! If I saw someone ask another person for help, I'd think he was the odd one, not the person who refused.

Pages