thinking of trying spinning - advice?

iVillage Member
thinking of trying spinning - advice?
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 3:08pm
Hi all!
I'm new to the Gym Rats board.
I have been in a terrible exercise rut and have got to do something drastic to bring myself back to life. For about 5 years now, i've just been doing fitness dvd's at home, or walking on my treadmill, but I recently learned that my health insurance covers health clubs for a small monthly fee. I'm thinking of joining my local Y and hitting the 6AM spinning class. (I've always had the most success when I got my workout in first thing in the morning.)
I am a little nervous about it being painful in the 'girlie' region, tho. lol Any avid spinners out there who can give me some beginners advice?
thanks in advance!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 3:38pm

Hi! Welcome to gym rats! I love spinning--it can be an intense workout and the learning curve is quick so even a first timer can get a great workout. For your first class, get there early and talk to the instructor. She'll help you set up the bike correctly and tell you what to expect. You might get decent advice from fellow students but I see many who are set up incorrectly but don't realize it. There isn't much to vary--speed/resistance, hand position, standing or sitting. It's a good concern about your "girly" regions. The first time I did it, it hurt enough that I didn't go back for a long time (and couldn't pee w/out pain for a day or so). Not to scare you off because you get used to it really quickly. Also, you could invest in a pair of bike shorts or a gel seat (some gyms have a few extras for participants to use). I bought one pair off the clearance rack at a Sports Authority and ordered a couple of pairs of bike skorts at Skirt Sport for $12 each. They can be pricey if you don't shop around. But, quite a few people don't use them. It's a matter of a few classes. Also, since you're doing an early morning class, find out how quickly the bikes fill up. It's a busy time and sometimes there are lines for them. You don't want to join and then find out the bikes are always full. Let us know how you like it!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 3:54pm
thank you for your nice response!
I hope i don't get discouraged from the pain of it. i've looked around online and found a couple of people that have said it's taken up to 4 weeks to 'toughen-up'. ;)
I still think i'm going to give it a try.
I've always been fairly active, but this is something i've never tried.
that old saying 'if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got" comes to mind and i feel like it's time for something new!
I have always carried the majority of my weight in my lower half (although i am generally well proportioned). do you have any advice for different workouts that really help slim the bottom half of the body? I'm also thinking of swimming too...
just ready to get rid of this overall 'soft' look and get lean!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 5:14pm

If you're committed to it, I'd recommend buying either the gel or bike shorts. It makes a big difference and you won't have to put up w/ discomfort until you get used to it. It really is a great workout.

As slimming the bottom half goes...Generally what people want to do is lose fat in specific areas but, short of liposuction, we can't pick where we lose it. Doing cardio, watching what you eat will help you lose body fat but it'll come off where you're genetically predisposed to lose fat. Some lose it in the chest, some in the legs, some in the arms, etc. That's one reason you'll see people w/ saddlebags who are at a good weight. Doing a lot of cardio w/ lower body will not specifically lose fat in that area. The good news is eventually, you'll lose it everywhere--so keep up cardio (swimming would be a great addition to spinning), watch what you eat and that'll help you lose the fat.

For your lower body, if you lift heavy weights, you'll build muscle which will 1) burn more calories to help you lose more fat and 2) be stronger so you can last longer/work harder when you do cardio so you can burn more calories and lose fat so it'll help in two ways (and how awesome do toned legs look, also, as a superficial aside?).

Another thing to consider is to work your upper body and have nice chest/back/arms that are larger and muscular. That'll even out your body so your lower part appears smaller. And, again, more muscles, more fat burned (and more awesome looking arms, too). Hope that helps! If you want, we post a daily journal below about what we do, what we're eating, etc. It helps some of us stay on track and if you want feedback on what you're doing, just ask when you post.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 9:13am

Hi Mandispring, and welcome to the gymrats board!

I remember my first spin class, and it wasn't that long ago.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 2:48pm

If you spin a couple of times a week, it will only take you a couple of weeks to get used to the seat, but I agree with the recommendation of bike shorts or gel seat.

As Jean said, to slim down your lower body you will have to lose fat through cardio and/or changing your diet, but that being said spinning is a great form of cardio that will burn a lot of calories in a relatively short period of time, and doesn't have the impact of running, for instance.

Edited 3/19/2010 2:49 pm ET by jenindc