Your ideal fitness level vs now

iVillage Member
Your ideal fitness level vs now
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 8:42am
We haven't done any questions like this in a while... I was saying I feel so out of shape right now and hate the feeling. My goal is to work hard to get back into the shape I want. So, my ideal fitness level is far higher than it is now. With my shoulder the way it is, I'm missing the days when I could do unassisted pull ups and sets of 10 one arm push ups. You don't miss it until it's gone. I can only do push ups on my knees and barely that w/out shoulder pain. But, it's not only that--I can tell overall how much harder it is to move these days.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 5:17pm

Despite the fact that I am larger than I have been in the past, I work a LOT harder to be where I am now.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 5:36pm

This is kind of hard to answer. I don't know what my ideal fitness level is, really. Obviously, I want to get my cardio back up after doing easy cardio workouts all last week.

I guess my ideal level of fitness is being able to do something new and not completely die. I don't mind it being hard but I don't want to feel like I'm going to keel over. :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 7:09pm
There was a time when I was constantly working to be better. But, over the years, I decided that even professional athletes have off seasons so it's okay to slack off here and there and it's helpful mentally. I should also say "slack off" is a relative term and I do think that when I'm slacking, I'm still working harder than most of the people I know (off the gym rats board) when they're not, if that makes sense. So, for a while, I was doing what I consider minimal but am now back to trying to get better. There was also a time that I worried that if I started to slack off, that it was a down hill slide to being a forever couch potato. That hasn't come true, although I do know people who have. I'm not sure I have that in me to be a slug, anymore, despite old fears.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 7:13pm
I can't really describe what my ideal fitness level feels like but I know it when I'm there. I feel like I have a ton of energy, I can do any activity and have leftover energy and I WANT to challenge myself and work harder. It's watching those P90X or Insanity informercials and knowing that I could get through those workouts and love them. It's when I go running and have gone 6-10 miles and still feel like I have spring in my legs. That's an awesome feeling. It's the feeling I had at miles 13-19 of the marathon when I felt like I was flying and on top of the world. The feeling when getting up to the bar on an unassisted pull up was no work at all. That seems like a lifetime ago.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 7:42am
I'm wordy normally but get me a glass of wine and I'm out of control! Rereading this post, I think I sound like I'm trying to be a writer or something.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 8:24am
lol.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 11:46am
I was into red wines, zinfandel and syrah/shiraz type (but love malbec w/ steak) but after trying Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, I've returned to drinking some whites. I don't like cloyingly sweet wines and find chardonnays to be that. But, I read that chardonnays from colder regions tend to be crisper, less sweet so have been trying some of those, eg. chardonnay from the Russian River area. But, I'm such a neophyte as wines go so am open to trying everything!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 1:06pm
I think everyone's ideal fitness level is higher than their fitness level now, especially gym rats. Everyone would like to be more fit than they are. Even when you were running the marathon and doing pull ups, if asked you would have said that ideally you'd be even
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 1:54pm
Can't be too rich or too fit.