Working both sides equally

iVillage Member
Working both sides equally
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 1:58pm
I've been doing rehab exercises on my own since PT ended. It's light weight, but challenging for my injured side. So, I've only been doing my left side because doing front raises/side raises with 3 lb weights on my right side does nothing for it. Right? One thing I didn't like at PT was that some equipment are made for both arms and my right arm took over. I've taken the same exercises onto machines where you can work R and L separately. I don't want to waste time doing exercises with my right side that don't do anything but I don't want to be uneven, if that's possible with such light weights. I'm already spending 45 minutes on top of my normal workouts for rehab. If I did both sides, it would be so much longer. Can anyone think of a reason why I should do both? Oh, I don't want to lift challenging weights on the right side and make the muscle imbalance even worst.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 4:48pm
If the exercises are easy on the healthy side, I wouldn't do them. And you know I'm paranoid about being "even."
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 6:27pm
They're easy--you can imagine what doing a front raise with a 3 pound weight would be like. I've actually advanced from a 1 lb weight to 3 lbs. No, actually, I've moved up from not being able to move that arm at all to a 3 lb weight. Frustrating. I'll skip the right side.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 6:57pm
Yeah, skip it. Darn unilateral-ness. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 7:05pm

I don't think 3 lb.s is much...just pt strength.