New class opportunity...

iVillage Member
New class opportunity...
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 5:30pm

So, my client today was a no show (called to say she's been sick and forgot to tell me--not happy) so I was talking to my friend who's the aerobics director at my gym. We were talking about the clientele at that gym and how during the day, there are very few people who want to work high intensity, as I've complained about in the past. I have a decent following these days but have had to take down the intensity considerably. Anyway, she really wants to get me over to the other gym, where people are younger and really want intense workouts, or at least the night/evening classes would. She offered me a class on Wednesday nights from 7-8. So, I've said I'd do it but she'd be taking off a super popular Zumba class (instructor up and quit and she can't find another one to fill it because the participants are too picky). Am I shooting myself in the foot teaching a cardio sports class? I wonder what kind of complaints there will be...

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 5:50pm
Well, you never know until you try. You could start with a basic framework and then tailor it a bit more once you get to know the demographics of who attends.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 6:52pm
I agree.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 8:05pm
Apparently the members there have requested more hard core classes. She already added a Friday class and she teaches an outdoor bootcamp class. So...we'll see. I think if I'm better than the Friday instructor, it'll have a better chance of being successful. My friend is probably the best instructor out there for classes like these and I'll always pale in comparison but her class is only in nice weather.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 8:07pm
If I pleased myself, I probably wouldn't teach at all. What if something comes up on Wednesday evenings now and I'm committed? LOL, I hate commitment. But, I do like teaching once I'm there and into it and it's the same class as I do on Monday mornings so it wouldn't be more work. And, part of it is ego--I'd love to teach people who want to kick butt.