Changes and updates over the years...

iVillage Member
Changes and updates over the years...
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:28am

In the years you've been working out, what recommendations have been updated?

Off the top of my add (I'll add on as I think of more):

1) Drinking 8 glasses of water a day--that was such an arbitrary number but listening to your body is the best judge of dehydration. Drinking excess amounts of water does nothing for you but make you run for the bathroom all the time.

2)Coffee and tea are diuretics--barely, they still count towards water intake.

3) Pregnancy and working out--it's made huge strides since I was pregnant and you're no longer told just to walk.

4) Core work--it never used to be mentioned but it's key, as important, IMO as cardio, strength, flexibility.

5) No pain, no gain--enough said.

6) Fat free is the way to go. You don't absorb some nutrients from vegetables w/out some fat. Salmon, avocado, flaxseeds, etc. all have good fats that we need.

7) Carb free is the way to go.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 8:37am

More...

* Functional fitness--getting off machines that only move one way and onto BOSUs, TRX, etc, that let you put balance, more motion into lifting

* Going from a high heart rate to something slow on the ground used to be a no-no but now it's okay eg., shuffle to a push up is fine.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 8:50am

Glycemic Index - it totally makes sense, and, perhaps, one reason why carbs are so bad.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 9:23am
Yeah, that stretching before and not doing it is a big change.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 10:26am

I was thinking much more specific (and controversial) things like:

*Height limits on the step based on one's height vs. using as many risers as you can

*Not standing on a bosu with both feet

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 12:16pm

Step risers heights have gotten much better lately. In the early 90's, I'd commonly see multiple risers. I only see double, at most, these days.

The BOSU I'm still not convinced it's a good apparatus to do all the stuff that is being done on it--eg. the two feet. I think it can be done safely but needs A LOT of cueing. I always start the class standing on the BOSU and tell them to use their adductors to pull their knees in so their feet are flat. But, invariably, people forget and I see that awkward splay. No other instructor goes through that explanation and I see all kinds of weird things going on w/ the feet.

That protein thing I run into all the time. I think a big part of it is leftover from the anticarb crowd. There's a time and place for protein but it's not always necessary around workouts.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 1:55pm
Maybe it's because I'm old and deteriorating, but I've become more wary of the BOSU in recent years (and I think ACE article did a number on me as well).
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 2:49pm
I still love the BOSU but think you need to be smart about using it. I guess it's no different from other equipment.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 5:25pm
The bosu hurts my ankles because I have far too much
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 8:46am
It's actually a great way to strengthen the ankles, in that case. Just, as you say, take it slow. I have someone in my class who avoided the BOSU because of ankle instability. She's amazing on it now. Oh, good shoes help AND trying to maintain the flat foot position which also works the adductors.