iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:57am

Yes, thanks for your post!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 7:54am
Welcome to gym rats, btw!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 7:48am

" i think that for the majority, being overweight is an acceptable price to pay for living the way they like."

I agree. I think working out and eating well take a big commitment and most people aren't willing to do it, or at least not long term. It's why "quick" fix books and diets sell so well. People don't want to hear the truth that it's a lifetime commitment and takes time.

I also agree about programs for exercise for children who can't afford it. It's easy to tell kids to move but if they're in the city and can't play outside and don't have money, how? We need to give kids the knowledge AND means to stay healthy.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 4:57pm

i dont think most people want to change their habits. i think that for the majority, being overweight is an acceptable price to pay for living the way they like.

BUT... since i have never been overweight i might be way off. all i know is that i used to have an overweight room mate who would always talk about how she wants to lose weight whilst eating something greasy, slurping a "diet" coke, and watching tv. the most exercise she did was lifting the food to her face,lol.

i think it's a good idea to start educating children about how to eat right but it's not going to change what their parents will buy at the grocery store. if a child is told to eat carrots, broccoli, corn, ect. at school and they come home to cheetos, starbursts, and snickers what do you think they are going to eat?

i hope the programs for exercise work though. they need to have some kind of free sports or events so even kids from poor families can get some excercise.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 10:38pm
It's definitely a step in the right direction!
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 2:57pm

Interesting. I'd guess it won't work with everyone but even if it gets a small number off the couch who wouldn't have, it's a good thing. My old employer got better insurance rates for having a gym w/ trainers, etc. in the facility. It was great...for the three of us who used it. At first, it was pretty full, but as with New Years resolutioners, after a couple of months, it emptied out. This could not have been easier--upstairs, nice locker/showers, convenient, personal trainers at your disposal. After so many years, I'm starting to get cynical that people can be changed, on a large scale.