Missing the gym scene

iVillage Member
Missing the gym scene
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:07am

I go to the gym during the weekday where it's mostly SAHMs who don't touch the weight area so it's pretty empty. Plus, the few that do, use really light weights. So, last night, it was so nice to walk through the other gym, more young people, full of people lifting a lot. I miss it! It made me want to get back there and start lifting heavy again. Yeah, if I do, I'll wait until my shoulder is somewhat better. But, I loved seeing all the guys and the full room.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:50am

One of my instructors said that although she likes seeing us in her weights class, that the next progression would to be on the floor lifting heavier weights (e.g., fewer repetitions and heavier load.)

What are your thoughts on that?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:55am
Definitely. With the number of reps you do in a class, you're working slow twitch muscles, which are fine but if you want muscles that pop, you need to work the fast twitch with heavy weights and more reps. You could also do a combination--class and outside work to get both. I think you'd love kettle bells, if you can find a class in that. I'm much more into functional lifting now, rather than working one isolated muscle group at a time. It's how we move in real life.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 10:17am
Agreed. I've been into functional fitness for a while now.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 10:25am

Thanks, "guys." :)

Ok, with that said, since I have that horrible pinched nerve, if I maintain no shoulder (or very low weight on shoulders), is there an opposing muscle group that I should also not work?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 11:07am

I would not suggest going light on another muscle group. Make sure your shoulder program includes light weights on all angles of the delt (look up scaptions - those might be useful for you).

Does going to another gym for a trainer involve joining a whole other facility or do you already belong to multiple gyms? If you can easily go to another gym, then perhaps you ought to. But trust me, we are able to handle rejection (and if the trainers aren't, they need to get over themselves). I wouldn't worry too much about creating drama. Hiring a trainer shouldn't create drama and if the trainer you didn't hire gets all bent out of shape, then you know you made the right choice in not hiring her. :P

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 12:42pm

Honestly, I'd suggest a physical therapist since you have a pinched nerve and they can help you with that. A trainer could aggravate it, unless you get a knowledgeable one. Or, at least find a trainer who is certified as a rehab trainer to make sure. You want to make sure your range of motion is normal and you're not using your shoulder in the wrong way--that's what is happening to me w/ my shoulder injury. It's been very hard to correct it.

Don't worry about not using a trainer. I'd hate it if someone thought she should use me and was worried about offending me. If there is drama, then you're lucky you didn't go to that person in the first place,

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 12:46pm

You are crazy! Those are the same guys that are leering, sweating-and-not-cleaning-up, grunting, weight-slamming and otherwise making the gym an annoying place to be. I go out of my way to avoid the gym while they are there. You think you miss it but if you had to work out regularly with them you'd be wishing for the quiet days with the SAHMs that STAY OUT OF YOUR WAY.

OUT OF MY WAY is where I like people to stay.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 12:49pm

I used to preach my thoughts on that all the time here, but I guess I haven't said it lately, so here it is:

I think pretty much all weights classes are useless for anyone serious about working out and fitness.

And especially if the teacher herself is saying it, it's

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 1:06pm
Yeah, but these guys weren't. I should say it's not a singles crowd. They were all just into what they were doing and working hard. I didn't look to see if they were cleaning up after themselves and all but I just like to see people work hard and I don't see that often, in the weight room, with SAHMs at my gym. When I see people working hard, it makes me want to work hard.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 6:32pm

You

Pages