Taking a week or more off...

iVillage Member
Taking a week or more off...
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 8:48am
I overheard a conversation yesterday where a woman talked about recently taking a week off and they were saying how it's good for you to do that. It is but it got me thinking that I haven't done that in sooo long. Even w/ marathon/training, I took off about three days before I taught. When was the last time you took a whole week off and did nothing? I can't remember--when I went to Disney, I didn't "work out" but I did walk from morning to night.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 8:53am
I recently took most of a week off when I had the second oral surgery. If you're consistent with exercise, I think it's good to do now and then.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 9:00am
I agree it's good to do now and then. I used to but don't know how I fell out of habit. I haven't thought about it in a long time but I think part of it is teaching so it's just what I do.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 9:16am

A whole week?!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 10:29am
I don't think you'd lose half your fitness level in four weeks but it would be a good idea to start at half of what you had been doing, if you took four weeks off. It's more about overtraining than physically being able to do that much. I haven't run more than five miles at a time for a long time. I have no doubt I could get myself through 10 miles, if I put my mind to it but wouldn't because it's not good for me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:50am

I take multiple weeks off all the time with no noticiable detriment to my strength or cardio fitness. The only thing I notice is that I lose some of my running progress after more than a week or

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 11:40am
This winter with all the snow and my injuries, I worked out a lot less than usual and noticed a big difference in how I feel. Both in speed of running (I had been running the lake behind my house in 46-47 minutes, after, it was over 50 minutes) and in how I felt in general. OTOH, the little aches and pains in my feet went away w/out the running. I'm noticing a huge difference in strength since my shoulder injury, not just the injured shoulder but the other one since I stopped working that one, too, so I didn't get too unbalanced.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 7:20pm

I think the last time I took an entire week off (In fact I took about 3 weeks off and did absolutely nothing!)was right after our car accident in March of 2008. I was an emotional wreck and physically felt worse and worse as the days went by...all these aches and pains and bruises popping up. I still went to work and that was enough of a chore that and doing just the regular chores around the house. It was still snowing here too but my neighbor helped us with the shoveling. DH was in worse shape than I was too.
We had 9 months of chiro and rehab.

Now I don't ever take an entire week off but I may pick and choose what I will do. Sometimes I'll take a week off the weights but still do cardio and ballet, or cut back ballet to once a week and still do 4 or 5 days of weights and no cardio. Most weeks I do it all...ride bike to work 4 days a week, ballet 3 times a week and weights 4 times a week.

It keeps me from getting bored too.

I used to take the weekend off but that just ends up making ma lazy and more apt to eat some bad things. The last few weeks I have been taking Wednesday and Sunday off. Wednesdays I do NOTHING! I find that psychologically this is a nice break in the week and I will take this day to have lunch with a coworker and just relax a bit. I usually do my weights at lunchtime on the other days and I only have 30 minutes so it's a bit of a rush! Sundays I will do a lot of gardening at this time of year so that is my exercise for the day.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 6:47am
Did you tell us about the accident? That sounds horrible for both of you to be that injured. Glad you've recovered!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 8:00am

What a horrible reason to take weeks off of working out...that sounds so traumatic!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 9:41pm

I don't think I have told you all about it. We were on our way to a big regional pool tournament....I had won some local matches to get a spot for myself and so had DH I was playing 9-ball and he was playing 8 ball. To win this tournament meant a all expenses paid trip to Las Vegas for the Amateur National Championships...we are talking big money here! $25000 for the winner!
So anyway, we were out bright and early as we had to get there for 8:00AM and it was a 2 hour drive. We got hit by an airport limo that was speeding in the far left lane that was all icy and slushy.
We are so lucky that this major highway was not busy and that nobody was injured too badly just whiplash.
Our brand new Caliber had the front driver's corner wiped right off. It was very scary. DH gave the report to the police. They charged the limo driver with careless driving. The tow truck driver insisted that I use his phone to ask if the tournament would wait for us in the circumstances.
I can't believe we did this but they said okay and we made it there by 9:00AM and I went undefeated until the final round when I lost by 3 balls....SIGH...so close!!!!
so I was the runner up...2nd place finish...no trip to Vegas.
DH said that for a beginner player(I'd only been playing for 8 months) I was AWESOME...he said he had never seen such focus and skill from me. To be honest I was full of adrenaline and I had to have a few shots of whiskey once the bar opened!LOL!
DH played later that afternoon and was so stiff and sore by that time he could hardly bend over.
He is the one that has taught me how to play. He's been playing for about 23 years. DH did go to Las Vegas before with a team.

I tried again the next year and again I got second place. I was beat out by a very good player.

We will try again :)

Nathalie

Pages