Can't Exercise: Just got my hair done

Administrator
Can't Exercise: Just got my hair done
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 2:14pm

According to this iVillage Health article:

In 2000, Michael Railey, associate dean and professor multicultural affairs at Saint Louis University School of Medicine, conducted a study published in the Journal of the National Medical Association which found that half of the women surveyed — all black, overweight or obese and between the ages of 29 and 69, — reported that their hair care directly affected their exercise habits. Nearly 60 percent visited their hairdresser at least twice a month. More worrisome, many of these women were being treated for high blood pressure, diabetes or other illnesses that strongly benefit from regular exercise.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 2:21pm

If you've ever seen how I wear my hair half the time, you'd know it's never entered my mind. It's funny because this just came up in a conversation with my running friends. One confessed that she couldn't find the right clips for her hair, couldn't get it to look right so skipping spinning class. The funny thing is this is not a friend who spends time on her appearance, doesn't color her hair, just not into it so it surprised me that she missed a class (actually two--she normally does back to back that day) because of her hair. I have a handful of pony tail holders in my gym bag, get there and throw one on just before working out. OTOH, I so rarely get my hair done that even if I didn't work out because I had it done, I'd barely be missing a workout.

That said, my hair is stick straight and doesn't do much. If it were crazy curly, it would be much harder.

Administrator
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 2:31pm

lol I have wild, flyaway, thin, half curly-half straight hair and mine gets thrown in a ponytail or clippy most of the time. Doesn't really matter if I've just got it done; 15 minutes later and it doesn't look so done anymore

Karla

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 2:58pm

No, I've never skipped a workout because of my hair because I'm really good at planning. (When I get my hair done, I make sure I've worked out already.)

Last summer, I stayed away from swimming because I didn't want to ruin my hair. This year, I bit the bullet and bought a swim cap. Lets me enjoy the pool without being concerned about my color. It's not foolproof and my hair does get damp but I figure it's a better option than the murder of sun and chlorine on purple. :)

Administrator
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 3:32pm
Omgosh-I just can't bring myself to get a swim cap yet. I do see people wearing them but I just can't yet. I pretty much just pin my hair up, stuff it under a hat and do my best to keep it out of the water when swimming.

Karla

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 3:48pm
I've worked with a lot of African American women and girls. When they get their hair done, either permed, which is straightened for them, or beaded, it's a long, painstaking process. One drop of water just frizzes it all out! So we used to have to battle with girls and their moms all summer because we went swimming at least once a week. So it's not as frivolous as it sounds. It's not like you or I going for a haircut or blow dry, then not wanting to ruin it! Some girls would sit for hours to get their hair beaded, so you can imagine they have a lot invested in keeping it nice. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 4:03pm
Oh, absolutely. I totally agree. I am in awe of the amount of work that goes into maintaining African-American hair.
Administrator
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 4:10pm

I totally understand all about the expense of the hair do! My color costs a fortune hence the no swimming in a pool for me.

Karla

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 4:22pm
I worried about the hair color and pool at first but I do the swim cap thing and it doesn't bother me. Most of the women who do laps wear them. I wet my hair first, put a leave in conditioner in, and then cap. Oh, I haven't swum laps in years but when I was doing it, I did.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 4:28pm
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant about having stick straight hair and it being easy. Not that a one size fits all haircut works for everyone but I love the look of really short hair when it's that curly--well, I love the look of really short hair regardless of hair type. I think there's something that looks strong and empowering about it. I need easy, ready to go hair.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 6:20pm

I hate the way chlorine ruins your hair, especially without a swim cap.

Pages