Choosing a gym

iVillage Member
Choosing a gym
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 7:25am

We just moved to a new house in March. The gym I am going to now is close to our old house. It takes about 15 minutes to get there but I love the gym and all the people. It is free since I work there and they offer classes. The daycare is also free. Plus, I just feel comfortable there.

Last night, I checked out a Fitness 19 that is super close to me. They don't offer classes but they seem to have *most* of the equipment I am used to having at my disposal. The people seemed friendly. It costs $9 a month but there is a $99 initiation fee plus a $59 something or other fee. The daycare will end up being an extra $17 a month or I can pay per use at $2 for first child and $1 for the second one.

I am trying to decide between the two. I am leaning toward sticking with my current gym but I just worry that I will get sick of the drive at some point. I do have a home gym though, so when the weather is bad, I can just stay here.

Input please?

Photobucket

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.

It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.

Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.

It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.

It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle,

when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

READ MY BLOG HERE

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 8:24am

You work at a gym so you probably know this already... the initiative fees are bogus and the sales people can usually waive them.

I think it really comes down to convenience for you. Are you likely to not exercise if it's less convenient? (Based on things you've posted, I'd say probably not.)

If I were you and I wanted the additional option, I'd go in there and say "Make this worth my while." Let them know you already belong to another gym *and* you teach there. See if they'll waive the silly fees. If not, I would just stick with your current gym and supplement with your home equipment.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 8:44am
I agree with kel. Gym memberships are like car sales. After that, I think it depends on what you. Convenience is most important to me but I'd never join a gym that didn't have classes. But, a good number of gym members never step inside group ex classes. Is there any way you could keep working where you are but join the new gym if they could cut you a deal? Te $9 membership seems like a no-brainer. That's less than the walk in rate at my gym! The other thing is you can keep with your current gym and then see how it is. You could find it's easy to fit into your schedule and keep it. Let us know what you decide!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 1:58pm

That was my thought too. It might be worth it to pay the $9 a month IF I can get the initiation fee waived, even if I do have to pay that dumb $59 fee. I could do my weights and some cardio there but go to MY gym for classes and when I want to use the equipment I know well.

Thanks for your thoughts:)

Photobucket

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.

It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.

Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.

It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.

It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle,

when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

READ MY BLOG HERE

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 3:50pm
I'm weighing in here a little late, but I think Kel and Jean are right.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 11:32am
Being gym rats, we can't belong to too many gyms! Also, if you do become a personal trainer, it'll give you another option to hit up for employment.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 4:53pm

As someone who at one point belonged to three gyms simultaneously, I agree with the suggestion to get the fees waived and join so you can use both. For $9 a month it's totally worth it.

I actually pay for two gyms right now. One in my building at work for $20 a month and a commercial gym near my house for around $65 a month - which is the standard rate for commercial gyms in this area. I also have an elliptical in my basement. For me, it's about convenience, especially considering how much traffic we have around here. I pretty much belong to the gym in my building at work solely to run on the treadmill, that's all I ever do there.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 5:22pm
It's funny because I was thinking the other day (can't remember how it popped into my head) how you used to belong to three gyms. I have access to two gyms and then the dance studio where they have classes every morning, never mind that I do a good number of workouts outside with running. As I said, I like to max out on my options, with as little cost as possible.