Equipment for home?

Administrator
Equipment for home?
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 10:44am
For those of you who are regular gym members, do you keep any kind of workout equipment at home in case you can't get to the gym for some reason? What type items do you keep

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 12:32pm

Hi Karla! Good question. I don't work out at home, other than running. But, I do have an assortment of equipment so I can work on ideas for training and classes. My latest toy is the TR-X which I love.

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

I also have a BOSU, stability ball, hand weights, tubes, step. I guess I could train at home, if I wanted!

For someone starting out, I think you could get a great whole body workout with the tube and body weight exercises. Gyms are great for variety but not a necessity.

BTW, is that you pole vaulting, in your siggy? Impressive!

Administrator
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 12:41pm

Oh-great list of equipment Jean. I keep a small assortment of hand weights and DVDs but mostly I hit the gym as well. I've been wanting to add in a stability ball but I'm convinced my teens would have it popped long before I got any good use out of it.

Karla

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 1:28pm

Hey Karla, your signature picture is AWESOME!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 1:55pm

Karla, those stability balls are pretty sturdy, especially if you get the tougher kind meant for lifting weights on. I bet they could survive your teens. Have you ever seen those videos of people jumping on them?

I have a lot of stuff at home, but honestly mostly the only thing I use is the elliptical. If someone wanted to get a few things

Administrator
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 2:02pm
We have the tr-x in our gym and pretty much only the advanced fitness buffs use it. I have tried it a few times and whew-it's really a challenge. I usually just workout near it right now rather than with it. ;)

Karla

Administrator
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 2:05pm

lol my kids could probably be in one of those infomercials trying to break things. If it survives them-it's a good product. lol

Hey-does anyone use one of those door-jam pull bars? Do they actually support you and what kind do you have?

Karla

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 3:13pm

My son has the pullup bar and he uses it regularly.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 9:06pm

Have you seen the youtube video of the woman who jumped off a platform onto mini tramp, do a flip and then land on a stability ball, actually a DSL ball? It's impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHPHPO1jAIQ

I've seen and done all sorts of crazy things with the stability ball and have never seen any of them pop. But, they were gym quality ones. I can't speak for the cheap $4.99 balls you see out there.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 9:07pm
LOL, being close to it is a good first step. How does the gym prevent people from walking off with it? We have one at our gym but it's only for the trainers. I use mine with a door attachment for the class but won't leave it there. My class loves it and we only do the basic things on it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 9:09pm
My husband got me one for a gift. I played with it until I hurt my shoulder. I like it but I don't lift much these days. I use it for my classes and for training. It's a great workout if I ever start lifting again, outside of class.

Pages