Take A Look At Who's Playing!

Administrator
Take A Look At Who's Playing!
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 3:11pm

February 4 2009 is National Women in Sports Day! I don't know about the rest of you but I was a child when Title IX (the Educational Amendments of 1972 is the landmark legislation that bans sex discrimination in schools) was passed and by the time I got to high school, girls actually had a couple of sports teams to choose from. They still weren't as well funded as the boys' teams but at least they were there. We used the boys old uniforms and practiced when they were done. Things have come a long way since then. :)

This year's theme is called "Take a Look at Who's Playing" and I thought it would be a fun tribute to let us know what sports you (and/or) your daughters, sisters,

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 3:45pm
I played no sports growing up. My mom was a reserve on a pickup basketball team. (meaning she sat on the bench and never really played).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Administrator
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 3:54pm

That's wonderful about your mother. I remember when just being able to say you were on a team was a huge honor.

I can tell by your siggy that you're a runner now so we join in celebration to your participating on the sport of running! :)

Karla

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 8:21am

I think it is WONDERFUL that girls/women have more opportunities in sports!

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 8:31am
We all played volleyball in my family, which is funny that my kids don't.

Administrator
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 8:36am
Congratulations to you, your mom and your daughter!! Not only am I happy to see girls get the same opportunities as boys, I'm glad to see girls' sports such as cheerleading getting the attention it deserves. :)

Karla

Administrator
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 8:40am

We celebrate the fact you and your sister participated in sports! I too thank those women who bucked the system and tried out for teams or formed their own. They made it much easier for the rest of us.

Karla

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 11:23am

I was just about to post this! Here's the link:http://www.northnet.org/stlawrenceaauw/sportday.htm

Since I work at Girls Inc, we're all about empowering girls to do their best in non traditional roles. So tomorrow, I arranged for the Syracuse University all girls hockey team to come talk to the girls, do some drills with them and stay for snack!! It's their firsy season and they're really doing well. I can't wait to meet them. It's going to be fun.

In April, I think it is, when Title IX legislation was passed, we usally do a whole week on the theme. And now, I must acutally GO to work! LOL Cathy

Administrator
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 12:10pm
How neat Cathy! Get some pics!!

Karla