I need inner motivation

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
I need inner motivation
Sat, 04-27-2002 - 8:48pm

I need inner motivation

Kathy, I am 42 and over the last 5 or so years I have lost the inspiration to eat right, exercise, even drink water regularly. How can I get back to a healthier lifestyle?

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-27-2002 - 11:28pm

"STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS" this archive helps me!...:->>mmm

Hi! You should join the Kathy Smith Team. We post our daily food, exercise, and water on the board, everymorning under Sandijur She is a great motivator!!Try out the 5 Day Jump Start diet to the left of the screen on the home page. NOW THE ARCHIVE YOU HAVE BEEN WAITHING FOR!!!ta! da! XXXXXXXXXXXX archive # 10 Question # 3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX First of all, you have already taken the first steps to recovery, which is facing your problem and defining it. But you are right, thinking about it, staying trapped in it, will continue to cause depression and feelings of helplessness, which turn into a vicious circle which will make you more and more unhappy. Here’s an exercise which I have found very useful. I call it a Stream of Consciousness. Keep a notepad right by your bed. Before you get up, grab your paper and pen and let your Stream of Consciousness flow to the paper. Scribble all your feelings as fast as you can with no censorship, no punctuation, being as descriptive as possible. Let it all flow, perhaps giving yourself a time limit of 5 minutes. This is all for you—no one else will read it. Don’t try and change your feelings to what you would like them to be yet, let the negative messages flow. When you are done, symbolically crumple it up and throw it away, or burn it. Release it all on paper, and then take those feelings that you don’t need anymore and TRASH THEM. This is an idea I got from “The Artist’s Way”, a book that helps you free your mind when you have creative blocks. Talking in the mirror is another good exercise which you have already discovered, and I would use that to do positive validations. “I am kind and loving. My husband is so gracious to me. I need to do something kind for him today. I am blessed with A,B,C,D and want to pass on my many blessings. I have a body which works and I am going to care for it today.” It takes adults weeks of constant trying to change habits, but with perseverance, it can be done. If stress triggers the need to eat, stop and ask, “What is it that I am afraid of? I don’t want to deal with something and I am trying to cover it with the comfort of food.” Also, use the board here at the web site. Read other people’s messages and learn from them. Perhaps you can find a buddy on the board that you can turn to, or a friend you have that will support you in this. Friends help get me going—they support me giving me the will power to get focused and find direction. Otherwise I would be much less productive. Exercise is going to help you tremendously. Body, Mind, and Spirit! Make modest goals of just 20 minutes a day. You will find that you will WANT to do more sometimes, and go with that, but having a modest goal will keep you from pressuring yourself to do something that will keep you from even starting. I hope this helps! I really feel for you and send you my best regards and wishes. Kathy p.s. I just remembered about a support group that I saw in the paper. I have no experience with them, but their ad struck me as something that might help you. They are called “The Hungry Heart” and their number is 1-877-HUNGRY-7 x 65 or (310) 205-0585 x65 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX end of archive XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I hope you find lots of support here, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them, or look through the archives (which are not very old!) and other people's questions. Kindest Regards, Karen the Archive Elf..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-28-2002 - 9:50am

KATHY SMITH RESPONSE: THANKS FOR THE ARCHIVE!!! (: SOME MORE THOUGHTS.. (:

Hi! Karen found a great archive for you. I have found the Stream of Consciousness a wonderful release and way to be reflective. Remember all the benefits of exercise: better metabolism, denser bones, lower blood pressure, better lipid profiles, better glucose metabolism, stronger heart and lungs--and the list goes on! No wonder the surgeon general declared "Lack of exercise is detrimental to your health". He didn't just say it increases health. He actually, by that statement, declared that if you don't exercise you are ruining your health. It's the same verbage used for smoking cigarettes. This is not a passive "you should exercise" statement--meanning that if you don't exercise you will stay the same or you just won't get the benefits--it means that lack of exercise ultimately ruins your health. So get up and go on a walk today. At least do 10 minutes. I hope this helps you get back on track. Finally, look at what you are doing. Do you need variety to be excited about exercise again? Try something different like the Latin workout, or Kickboxing. Try Pilates for Abs or Yoga...If you are in a rut, variety will be good for your body and mind. There are so many options...I hope you find your passion again. Kathy (: