Week 2 Progress Report/ Advise?

iVillage Member
Week 2 Progress Report/ Advise?
Wed, 02-04-2009 - 6:29pm

So its Hump day aka Wednesday! Just thought I would write out a progress report for myself.

Monday:

Breakfast: Slim Fast mixed with frozen berries (220 cals)
Lunch: South Beach Diet Wraps (210 cals) and carrot sticks with 100 cal pack of veggie dip
Dinner: 99% fat free tacos, no shell, light cheese
Snack: Pudding (150 cals)
Exercise: yes, a mix of weight training, ab's, and cardio (roughly 60 mins)

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Slim Fast
Snack: 2 hard mini pretzels (160 cals)
Lunch: cheese pizza (360 cals)
Dinner: Turkey Sandwich on wheat no mayo, tortilla chips w/ salsa
Snack: light yogurt (100 cals) 4 thin triscuts (40 cals)
Exersize: yes, 30 mins swimming laps at the YMCA and 10 leg lift crunches and 40 bike style crunches

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Slim Fast
Lunch: Individual cheese pizza
Snack: tortilla's w/ salsa
Dinner: Chicken Curry and Rice
Exercise: No gym :( only ab's. 60 Bike style crunches, 15 leg lift crunches

Tomorrow I plan to eat slim fast again, south beach warps for lunch and dinner is still up in the air. maybe a ham sandwich or black bean tacos. For exercise I am either going to go to the gym with my boyfriend for 75 mins and do a mix of cardio, weights and abs's or we are going to go ice skating. All in all I feel like I am doing well. I feel bad about not going to the gym tonight but I have worked out 8 out of the last 10 days.

I had half my thyroid out 4 weeks ago and Monday was my first day back to work since my surgery. Plus, I am coming down with a cold and have flu like body achs. So maybe its not terrible if I give the gym a rest for tonight.... thoughts????

The good thing is I'll def. get the work out in tomorrow because there's no way my boyfriend will go with out me. He'll nag me if I say I don't want to go and he'll drag me there and then I'll get into it while I'm there and I'll thank him for pushing me later. .. I always do...

I think my emotions are a little low. 10 days into my diet now and I've only lost 1.5 lbs... normally when Im exercising and eating like I am I would loose more weight than that. I mean heck most people loose 3-5 lbs. of water weight in the first week! I go in 2 weeks to get my blood tested to see if I need thyroid replacement medicine since I am now operating this body with only half a thyroid. It's just a tad bit discouraging... I do feel proud that regardless of what the scale is saying that I am taking better care of myself and being mindful of what I put in my body... It makes me feel more in control... I just want to reach my goals... :(

Any thoughts? Advise?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-04-2009 - 6:38pm

That is AWESOME Jenna!! You are doing wonderful!! Thyroid has a lot to do with weight loss/gain, that may be a reason you aren't seeing the #'s on the scale that you want. ALSO, don't forget, muscle weighs more... with all the exercise you have been doing, I'm be surprised if you haven't lost more inches than weight!

How much water are you drinking? That's another important part of weight loss, of course you know that ;) I think it's good you take a break from the gym for one night! You still did some ab work and ate very well, all bodies need a rest though :)

Congratulations for such an awesome week!! Oh, I thought of one more thing .. protein ... do you know how much protein you are getting? And are you eating enough calories to keep your metabolism up? Just looking over your menus, it seems very low calorie ... I would maybe throw in a couple of high protein/low fat snacks, especially after a workout, it helps burn more fat :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 7:56am

Your food diary seems a little low on calories, and you won't lose if you aren't eating enough.

~Liz

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 6:41pm

Thanks Bri. I drink a TON of water. I am always drinking. I just like water i guess. I don't think I'm too low in calories.. although i eat very low cal breakfast and lunch my dinners are usually more substantial. Thanks for the warning though!

I'm glad I skipped the gym. I did feel terrible. I'm a lot better today so I will be going to the gym with my boyfriend later tonight.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 6:42pm
Hey Liz! How did you incorporate more protein (I mean, what kinds of foods, or protein shakes?) I need some ideas :) Thanks!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 6:43pm
I really need to learn to drink more water! That has always been my downfall ... I'm a caffeine addict and water is boring to me!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 6:43pm
I should probably beef up the protein in my diet. How much protein should we eat a day? Do you know?
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 11:35pm

Jenna,

You are doing so well!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 11:53pm

I had an evaluation that showed I should take in between 75-128 grams of protein each day.

~Liz

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 12:00am

I had an evaluation by a health care provider to get my protein needs mapped out, but I found this

How Much Protein Should I Eat?

Americans tend to overconsume protein, which can mean taking in more fat and calories than you need, as well. You may be surprised to find out that you only need five to six ounce-equivalents (oz-eq) of protein foods for good health. An oz-eq is equal to:

• 1 ounce lean meat, fish, or poultry

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup cooked legumes or tofu
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1/2 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) nuts or seeds

The table below will give you a better idea of how much protein you should be consuming, according to your calorie level.

~Liz

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 2:00pm
Awesome Liz, thank you for sharing! I love hard boiled eggs, when I bring my lunch to work, I usually have 2 for a snack!

Pages