New here

iVillage Member
New here
Sun, 04-12-2009 - 11:04pm
Any room for a retiree here? I put on 40 lbs from sitting at a desk and eating the wrong foods, now I want to get rid of it. I've tried a lot of programs and found the best thing for me is an "in my face" approach of daily food recording, currently using FitDay. Calorie counting has been what works the best for me. I'm looking for a place to share, vent and encourage each other.

Jacquie, in mid-Illinois

iVillage Member
In reply to: jaybee458
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 9:19am
Hi fellow newbie! Good luck on your progress!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 7:11pm
Of course there's room, we love new faces! :) I've heard great things about fit day and have used it myself in the past, I really need to get back on track with tracking my food though! I'm glad you've found something has worked for you. What kind of exercising do you do? I'm glad you found us and I look forward to seeing you around :)

We have an April Challenge for ab work right now, you can check in your exercise and food log there or start a new thread. And feel free to vent anytime ;)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 10:19am

About exercise .. At 68, I need something easy on joints. The ortho MD doesn't think much of long spells on a treadmill - constant motion in one joint can be harmful at my age. I found the "Fit At Any Age" DVD at Collage Video (no affiliation) that reminds me of the 80s videos with combination aerobics/toning with weights/cool down stretch. At a little under an hour, it is a good workout. Routines have 3 levels to match your needs.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 6:44pm
They sound similar to Leslie Sansone videos. They are walk at home dvds "walk away the pounds". She has a LOT of them, and they are really easy and fun to do! You should check 'em out!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 9:32am

I think I have them all! Her videos are a much better workout than walking outside or in the mall. My problem is I do them, then conveniently forget to spend time doing the strength training.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 2:08pm
I'm glad you like them. If you forget to do strength training, you could just do her videos with small hand weights. That's a good substitution :)