Gave myself permission

iVillage Member
Gave myself permission
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 8:55pm

to leave 1/2 of a meal on my plate. We were traveling, I ordered what I really had a taste for, then stopped worrying about getting my $$ worth. When I began to feel full, I noticed the food didn't actually taste so wonderful anymore, so I quit. Didn't even ask to package up the rest to eat later - I really didn't need another rich meal this weekend. New habit I need to keep.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 9:35pm
Good for you Jacquie! I really need to start doing the same thing, portion control is my biggest challenge!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 8:49am

That is such a good philosophy! Especially at Italian restaurants where portion size is 3-5 times what it "should" be. I had the same problem too, I'd want to clean my plate so as not to waste the rest of the food. I didn't want that bowl of pasta staring at me for the rest of dinner while I finished my wine. I swear food can talk! LOL!

What I often end up doing is giving the leftovers to The Man to eat for lunch the next day - he could eat his own body weight in a day and still only have something of a belly (yeah life is fair). It also helps to ask for a half portion of what you're ordering (and perhaps replace it with a small salad if you feel inclined), I've never been turned down for this request.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 9:07am

It was a huge Italian sandwich I picked up to eat in hotel before going out, as we were short on time. I ate more of the meat and left 1/2 the roll. I spent the calories later on our way back to hotel after concert. Nothing was open but the gas/convenience store, so we each bought an ice cream bar to take back to hotel - LOL. But - I enjoyed the bar way more than stuffing down the rest of the sandwich.

The hotel breakfast buffet always is a challenge, with all the donuts, biscuits and gravy, etc. No eggs or meat for protein, no regular oatmeal, just cold sugary cereal. The fruit yogurt was full of corn syrup, so I went for English muffin with peanut butter.

Jacquie