Geez Louise...I am just kind..m.
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 5:54pm
around these boards. Hard to follow the "flow" of a message or

"conversation".

Question though, regarding the post about new relationships

and being new to sobriety. I had heard a year, or read that

somewhere.

I had also heard or read that when newly sober you should remain

in the first step for at least six months.

Can anyone give me any guidance on that? What that exactly

means.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 7:26pm
Hi Rose - great questions...First of all, there are lots of different suggestions for newly recovering people. Many counselors and AA sponsors suggest that in the first year people should avoid making any major decisions such as moving, new jobs, relationships - ending or starting, etc. There are many exceptions - for example, if a person is in an abusive relationship, it may be critical to end it asap! The reason for these recommendations is that the first year of sobriety takes so much energy and effort - everything is new, emotions can be very raw with wide mood swings, etc. People work the steps at different rates - the first step "Admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives were unmanagable" - sometimes people need to stay on that step for months, others, with the help of a sponsor, move on more quickly. It depends on the person, the person's situation, etc. It varies from individual. I worked on the first 3 steps over and over the first 9 months of sobriety. My sponsor guided me through the rest of the steps during the rest of the year and well into my second year. Hope this helps! Hugs, Leslie
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:57am
Rose I worked on steps all thought the first years, I didn't stay on one for 6 months I was old to work at your own pace. Dose that help?

Hug's Karen