flabby tummy after hysterectomy

iVillage Member
flabby tummy after hysterectomy
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 2:52pm
Hello, I need some advice and/or support!! I am a 45 year old woman, who exercises regularly and am in relatively good shape. I had a hysterectomy in March 2004 with an incision and experienced a great deal of abdominal swelling afterward. The initial swelling lasted for about 1 month, gradually reducing little by little. Now, I have noticed a different problem: it seems as though the stomach & abdominal skin is now sort of spongy and flabby instead of firm like it used to be. I have been doing all sorts of abdominal exercises since June 1. My question is, will the skin actually shrink at all, especially with the addition of more exercises, or am I doomed to have flabby, puffy skin there for the rest of my life? I have even been considering a tummy tuck. This is very devastating to me! Although this problem is very superficial, it is extremely upsetting, as my stomach was once my "good" area.

Any comments, good or bad would be helpful. Has anyone undergone a tummy tuck and if so, were you happy with the results?

Thank you!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2004 - 10:52am
Unfortunately I really don't know if you'll ever get the "tone" back in your stomach or not. I suggest you ask your doctor and hey I

cl-zoe27 &nb

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2004 - 11:49am
Thanks for writing back. Have you had a similar experience? I've heard 2 difference scenarios: one of my friends seems to think the skin will shrink a little bit. She had a full term pregnancy and a c-section at 41 and said a lot of the skin did shrink afterwards. Other people tell me that extra skin never shrinks. So I don't know what to believe. I cling to the hope that with enough exercise, things will improve to the point of being tolerable, where I can still wear that bikini. If I could get back to 80% of where I was, that would be acceptable.

It's very distressing and frustrating, because I am at a good weight and exercise regularly, but this seems beyond my control.

Thanks and hope to hear back from you.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 9:49am
A friend at work lost 90 lbs, then had a tummy tuck. She looks wonderful but says the tuck was the most painful thing she ever did. Good luck if you have it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 10:02am

No I haven't had a similiar experience but I did have a baby naturally almost 13 and my lower tummy skin has never gotten as tight as I would have hoped.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with genetics and our individual body types.

Keep on working on it though, I do!

~*~cl-zoe27~*~

Dance like no one is watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like it's heaven on Earth.~William Purkey

Link to the main Shape Up

cl-zoe27 &nb

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 11:25am
HI!! I have two c-sections and have not seen the last of that extra skin and flab. I have learned to accept it. I have three wonderful children. One birth was from twins. Although I have heard that pilates can help this tremendously even though I have not personally stuck with that program. GOOD LUCK. If you do find something that works...let me know.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 4:46pm
Hi Cincymarge. Thanks for writing back. Wow, 2 c-sections; but at least you have 3 beautiful children to show for it. I'm sure genetics plays a part in this, that's true. When you were exercising, did you see results? Maybe I'll try Pilates next, but I already do lots of abdominal work, crunches, exercise ball, leg lifts, side lifts, leg raises, etc. Avon has a product out called "Cellu-Sculpt" which I've actually heard good things about. I'll try that too, anything to avoid more surgery. Nothing comes without a price. I just refuse to accept this yet!!! I know a woman that had 2 c-sections (but of course she was in her 20's at the time) and her stomach is flat and tight as can be. She even competed in a body-building show 3 years ago (at 41).

Well, thanks for your comments and I'll let you know what happens with the Cellu-Sculpt. It's worth a try (and the $16, plus tax).

K

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 8:42am
Hey! Good morning!

I am in my twenties also=) When I was exercising a whole lot I could feel the muscle behind the skin firming up and I was seeing results, but there was still the loose skin for me. Well, you have encouraged me to keep on this though so last night I did 100 scrunches. Another key is to lower fat intake. We can do this.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 10:46am
That's great!!! Keep exercising, cause it can only make things better. I've made it a part of my life and will continue it as long as I'm able. So......the loose skin never got better huh? That's a little disappointing because that's my problem. I can deal with everything else but that. It's not bad enough to need surgery but it IS bad enough to be annoying, unsightly and make me self-conscious. Rats!!! I wish there was something to make loose skin shrink and go away permanently.

Thanks.

Karen