DYK it's still October!

Community Leader
DYK it's still October!
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 7:20pm

Starting a new DYK thread since the old one isn't working! :)

Michelle

Mom to Addison (8) & Gabriel (5)

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 11:07am

Just got a call from my principal.  All the computers in my tech lab (27 brand new iMacs) were stolen last night!  I just put those computers in last April.  Fortunately I have all the serial numbers for them, and they will probably get replaced (eventually) by the district insurance.  But it will take a lot of time to redo them all again. And in the meantime, how do I teach technology classes without any computing devices????  I'm just sick over this.

The public utility company isn't even goint ot get to our area until at least Friday - my district is hoping to be able to open school again on Monday.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Community Leader
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 3:08pm
Great news! I hope things go back to normal fairly quickly for everyone. It's crazy how long some people have to go without power after a big storm like this.

Michelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 1:40pm

Thanks for all the postive thoughts and prayers.  We made it through with no damage and no power loss!  We are one of the few people on our street with power.  My parents' neighbor's tree came down and scraped their house, but fortunately didn't do any damage to my parents' property (they had parked their cars up the street in case of flooding or they would have lost both cars).

The town where I work did not fare too well.  My school has no power, at least 2 other schools have huge trees down on their property and blocking the acccess roads.  The high school area is completely without power, and 2 of the major roads in town have several blockages due to multiple downed trees.  Major intersections have no power for the traffic lights.  I'm  thinking that we probably won't have school tomorrow unless public works can clear the messes by morning - the roads are definitely not safe for the busses to get through.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Community Leader
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 12:37pm
I hope you are one of the lucky ones to have minimal impact, Donna! Stay safe and warm!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 5:53pm
Stay safe!!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 9:55am

Just wanted to get on here this week while I can.  I live in the direct path of Hurricane Sandy in NJ and don't know  if/when we will lose power or get flooded out.  We were at a wedding on Long Island last night and just made it back to Jersey as they were closing down all the bridges and tunnels to/from the city.  It's really windy right now and even though the rains are just starting flooding is already happening and is expected to get worse with the full moon high tide this evening.

Most schools and government offices are closed today and tomorrow (of course my school has only cancelled for today so far, but probably will be closed tomorrow because this storm will continue through Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning).