Picky eaters!

Community Leader
Picky eaters!
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 1:23pm

Is your BF a picky eater? Gabe is horrible! He hardly eats any meat. Sometimes chicken nuggets or hot dogs, but not often these days. He loves fruit and carbs!

I have been giving him chocolate milk just so he'll get some nutrients from the milk!

Last night at McD's he had a few french fries and the pack of apple slices. This morning he just ate strawberries (and not the strawberry pancakes I made him). And now he's begging me for fruit snacks. Grrr.

I know picky eating goes with the territory for a 2yo. I can't find it now but I read an article a few years ago that said not to freak out if they didn't seem to be eating a balanced diet because toddlers crave what their body needs. (Surely not fruit snacks. LOL)

I thought this was a good article:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/feeding-picky-eater-17-tips

Michelle

Mom to Addison (8) & Gabriel (5)

Community Leader
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 11:24am
Hahaha! Addison loves steak so in order to get her to try other kinds of meat we call them "pork steak" and "fish steak." LOL - it works!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 11:43pm
Tatum really isnt too horribly picky over what he eats more than when he eats. I have a hard time remembering that hes still small and he will not finish a huge plate of food. My unrealistic expectations. And all meat is "chicken". I dont care if it is lying to my kid, if he will eat beef because I called it chicken, so be it. lol I suppose I got really REALLY lucky.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 12:00am
Tristan is soo picky! Its driving me nuts his go to meal is mac and cheese
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-22-2011 - 12:24pm
yup...chloe doesnt eat meat...

Her foods right now are:
mac and cheese
cheese
some soups
rice
fruit
veggies

chloe has always been picky and a small eater though not just a 2 yr old thing...shes so pale and skinny i wish she would eat. She gets peda sure sidekickes sometimes.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 12:13pm
YAY for eggless dino nuggets!!!!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 12:36pm
I don't remember what he had for breakfast (probably pancakes because that was before the allergist appt and cantaloupe) but for lunch he ate mac n cheese and a large piece of wheat bread...cookies for snack (I checked our pantry and the frosted animal cookies don't have egg), a few bites of string cheese, apple slices, spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread.

I went to the store and did a lot of ingredient checking and I don't think it's going to be as bad as I thought. Our dino nuggets don't have egg!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 11:52am
What did he pig out on since you just found out he's allergic to most of his favorite foods??
Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 3:08am
Haha...what's funny is some days I totally freak because Gabe eats hardly anything...well today he totally pigged out! LOL

Michelle

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 12:51pm
Yeah Kira is too, but she's kind of the opposite. She almost never eats any veggies I try to give her. She'll eat chicken nuggets most of the time and sometimes other meats, and generally will eat fruit w/ little to no problem. But she definitely goes on her streaks. Usually she loves the gerber raviolis but last night she just squished them and piled them on top of her cup. *sigh*
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 7:16pm
Thanks for the article link!

We're in the same boat as you, Jesse loves his fruits and veggies but hardly eats any meats except for hot dogs (which I will only give into occasionally). DH frequently gives him too many "treats" of juice, tea, and candy.

One thing we have found that works is he always wants any food that someone else has that he doesn't have - we call it OP food (other people's food). If he thinks it's off limits, he wants it.

I figure if I keep presenting him with healthy choices he'll eventually figure it out. And he absolutely is a grazer on the go.