Still constipated....

iVillage Member
Still constipated....
Thu, 10-14-2010 - 3:45pm

Some of you know that Kira has been constipated for awhile now, like probably about 2 weeks. It was getting better but still is not "normal." At its worst, she can scream and strain and dig her nails into me for about half an hour, then a HUGE ball of HARD poop comes out. Most of the time its not like that anymore, usually maybe 5-10 min and not QUITE as big. But still very uncomfortable for my poor little baby. When she gets like that, it makes me cry (and not just because of her nails digging into me!). She has had a few normal poops mixed in, but then goes back to the hard ones. And peeing has been normal. Here is a list of what I've tried. Any other suggestions???

*prune juice mixed into her morning cereal (she's not a big fan of drinking it out of the cup, although she does manage to drink a LITTLE)
*more apple juice
*cutting back on milk and going back to mixing half milk, half Enfamil Toddler formula (she'd been drinking it pretty much that way since 11 months w/ no problem, so I don't think its just the milk); and even cutting down on the mixture too
*more fiber (Nutrigrain bars, bread, pears, apples, grapes)
*no bananas, not even in baby food jar form
*no more carrots (I had given her cooked carrots for a couple of days and her constipation started around the same time and I read that they can be constipating, but she hasn't had any since the first couple days)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-14-2010 - 4:28pm

Shawna..I am so sorry she's still constipated!! Poor baby! A few things our pedi has suggested in the past are apple juice, over-the-counter glycerin suppositories (cut in half long-ways so its not as big) and a warm bath while you rub their belly. I hope you find something that works soon!!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-14-2010 - 6:28pm
i would try suppositories too...their are baby ones and its been a while and you have tried everything else :(
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-14-2010 - 7:16pm

We have been fighting the same battle with Nate. I decided it was the milk and have taken him off of it entirely. It's been much better ever since. He still poops less often than Ella, and his are usually more paste-like than squishy (I figure nothing is TMI in a thread about poop!), but he doesn't freak out when he has to go any more. And no more rabbit poops or Oh Henry bars in the diaper.

Some other things I do to help with the situation are:

- really push the prune juice. My kids won't drink it straight either, but I make them oatmeal with prune juice instead of water about 3-4 times a week.

- push the fluids. I found that the kids love drinking out of cups with straws, so I mix half apple juice and half water and let them go to town. They will drink a whole cup (probably 2 cups volume) in one sitting this way.

- just plain old prunes. I just break them up into small pieces and let them eat them. They love them!

It might be worthwhile taking Kira off milk entirely for a few days to see if it helps. I know my ped warned me that it can be very constipating for some kids, and I certainly found that was the case with Nate.

Good luck and KUP!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 10:20am

I struggle with this too.

Photobucket,
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 11:46am
Thanks, she's actually been MUCH better lately. Not exactly sure what the problem is/was, but she's still getting lots of fiber and juice, and we're still doing the milk/formula mixture. Some are perfectly normal and some are still a little firm, but NOTHING like it was there for awhile, which makes all of us very happy!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 11:50am
oh and BTW, she HATES the actual prunes! She likes the Gerber prunes w/ apples, which I was finally able to find at Target, and she likes the prune juice mixed w/ her cereal (but not drinking it out of a sippy), so usually her breakfast is either a Nutrigrain bar or cereal mixed w/ prune juice and the prunes/apples.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-25-2010 - 12:59pm

Shawna, have you tried lactose free milk.