STTN...?

iVillage Member
STTN...?
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 3:36pm

How many of your BFs sleep through the night? At either her 6 or 9 month checkup (can't remember which) the doc told me that Kira probably is waking up more out of habit than actually being hungry and to try to calm her and shush her back to sleep. well, we don't have the patience for that, especially DH, so we just feed and change her when she wakes up. We've pretty much always gotten her up before we go to bed, somewhere between 10-11, and a lot of nights she'll wake up 1 more time. Well, its getting old! Especially when she has been waking up at 11 and wakes up again at like 1, then lately its been 1 more time even before i get up for work at 6:30! You CANNOT tell me she's that hungry within 1-2 hours!! I'd be ok w/ her waking up maybe one time during the night cuz normally her diapers are SOAKED when she wakes up (she hasn't actually leaked onto the bed in a few weeks, that was happening a lot for awhile!). Any ideas/suggestions on how to get her to not wake up so much? I know at least the first time is habit cuz its always between 10:30-11 and we hardly ever even wake her up at that time anymore. Should we just leave her in there to cry? Get her out and change her and put her back to bed? I just don't know.....?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: shigh2001
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 4:25pm

Mathew has been sleeping through the night since about two months old. My only suggestion is to leave her in her crib which might mean crying it out. :smileysad: And that can be tough. My kids have all cut out the night feedings on their own so I hope someone else has more advice for you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 5:32pm
honestly...just leave her. chloe will wake up once in a while with a noise or somethign. she ussualy settles down soon after...now if i know shes sick, or if i hear her throw up or she doesnt settle odwn witin 30 min i do go put her back to sleep...but those are very rare occasions

kiras not hungry hun....she might be waking up out of habit, unless shes getting teeth
Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 6:34pm
Do you have a video monitor? I swear it's a life saver for stuff like this. Gabe was waking several times a night until we moved him to his own room. But when he does wake up I can watch him on the monitor to see if he's really awake and upset that we're not going to get him. Most times he's just whining for a few minutes but goes back to sleep. Have you tried overnight diapers? Gabe doesn't pee a lot at night but Addison went through a phase and they worked well for us.

Michelle

Mom to Addison (8) & Gabriel (5)

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-26-2010 - 10:53pm

When Tatum went through this I would just go in and rub his tummy and shush

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 12:56pm
I don't think the diaper issue is what's waking her up. She's never been one to be bothered by a wet/dirty diaper (which I hope doesn't bite us in the butt when it comes time to potty train). But when she started leaking a lot we moved her up to 4s at night and kept her in 3s during the day, and that has been working since.

Last night we didn't wake her up before we went to bed, and she didn't wake herself up at that time either like she tends to do. DH said she did wake up at 1 and had 6 oz., then she woke up for the day at 6. Someone else suggested that maybe we try making her smaller and smaller bottles at night, so I will have DH try that and see how it goes.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 1:24pm
DYK Izzy was the same way as Kira up until last month. Now he is hitting the hay at about 9 and I need to wake him at 7 to get ready to take DS#1 to school. This is a complete opposite to before. Everyone told me this would happen at some point before 18 months. If you dont want to do anything then just wait it out. :)

Love and Laughs

reading.jpg picture by melodybinoc

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 5:51pm

Z has been STTN since he was about 8 months.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2010 - 11:12pm
Well Sophie was waking up to nurse too but I think it was more of a comfort thing. I started NOT nursing her when she would wake up and after a few nights she would just go back to sleep. She would wake up around 5 am and then I would nurse her and she would go back to sleep. Then we she got her top teeth just like a month ago she wouldn't sleep and when she would wake up in the middle of the night there was NO way to get her back to sleep so I would just nurse her. I mean I was exausted and I have to go to work and that would calm her down so that's what we did. Now she's back ti waking up around 2am like clockwork....i just nurse her. :o(
I guess I should try not to and see what happens, huh?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-28-2010 - 8:17am

Oh Shawna, she is still waking up at night? You guys must be ready to pull your hair out. Two of mine slept through the night pretty early and this was never a problem but for our middle girl it was well over a year before she did. I agree that it is probably a habit for her. My mom was the one who actually broke the habit for us, she watched my middle DD for the weekend and when we came back and from then on she slept through the night.

Summer2010sig
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-28-2010 - 11:47am
LOL funny you say that, because she almost always STTN at my parents' house (which is usually 1-2 weekends a month)!
I'm a deep sleeper and have to get up for work in the mornings, while DH is a light sleeper and doesn't go to work until the afternoon, so the only time he makes me get up w/ her is on the weekend. I know a few times he has let her cry for awhile but probably not for very long. And last night he tried what was suggested by one of my friends, giving her smaller and smaller amounts when she wakes up (which was just once last night, at about 2 or 2:30). He tried giving her just 4 oz instead of her usual 5-6, and she screamed and screamed until he gave her 4 more!
Oh and she does sleep w/ her binkie and "bear" (one of those little blanket things w/ a bear head on top), and a nightlight. We'll see if we can make any progress w/ the decreasing bottle before we go purely for the "crying it out" :-( Thanks!
Photobucket

Pages